Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No audio device on my computer + me making problems worse..  (Read 12828 times)

westom

Intermediate

Re: No audio device on my computer + me making problems worse..
    « Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »
    ... verify that it was the chipset and not the audio drivers.
      Or is hardware defective.  Driver problems are Windows.  HP provides comprehensive diagnostics to learn if the hardware even works.  No driver will load if hardware is defective.  And will not report the defect even in Devcie Manager.  First determine if the problem is hardware or Windows using a comprehensive hardware diagnostic provided by HP for free.

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
      alright truenorth, thank you for keeping me up to date on this!

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »
        korrenmaa, Do you have the ability to perform the diagnostic test that westcom has reccommended.? It cannot hurt anything to do that. If you need help as to how to perform it let us know? If i were convinced that it is a hardware failure we could move on--but i am not convinced of that yet.
        westcom,did you follow the route i had him do the "driver" search and install? What do you think it was searching for? Chipset or audio drivers? truenorth

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »
          westcom,did you follow the route i had him do the "driver" search and install?
          Drivers can fail due to wrong driver or due to hardware failure. His computer comes with the most definitive thing that can provide answers without doubt - a comprehensive hardware diagnostic.  It reports things (without doubt) that drivers cannot.  It says quickly whether to keep searching for drivers or not.

BTW, some of those sound cards have the option of outputting digitally or analog.  Another setting that could only complicate the solution when we don’t even know to look at hardware or Windows.  Another reason why the simplest and definitive answer from  diagnostics would expedite a solution.

You did not mention it.  I don't know if those reports would indicate it.  But sometimes necessary is to remove all sound drivers in Device Manager and reboot before loading a correct driver. A wrong driver can cause a good driver to never load.

In another case, a similar but wrong driver kept the correct driver from operating until  an entry was removed from the Registry (and rebooted).    Just another example of how to expedite the problem by first executing the hardware diagnostics  - to learn if the problem is in hardware or Windows.  I almost bought new hardware until the diagnostic said hardware was perfectly good.  Only then was a non-loading driver traced to a Windows problems.  I would have never looked without that diagnostic.

So many suspects can be removed quickly by executing the comprehensive hardware diagnostic.

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 12:35:29 PM »
            no i would need someone to help me out with how to do a diagnostics

and by the way, the last post westom posted i think, referred to me as a him! which i am not :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »
              westcom, sounds like a very persuasive and sensible reason for doing the diagnostic. I just have a strong hunch that this is NOT a hardware issue so that is why i am not recommending a hardware replacement yet. I anticipate that korrenmaa will be back asking for guidance on how to perform the diagnostic.Hopefully we will soon know where we need to go with his problem.truenorth
              P.S. If we do get to a hardware replacement it appears his computer uses 1/2 height cards and has only one unused (provided he doesn't already have something in it) spare pci slot available.

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 12:44:35 PM »
                well im ready when you guys are to try this just let me know what i need to do! :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »
                  korrenmaa, I am hoping that westom will come back and give you step by step guidance as to how to access your HP diagnostic tool. However until he does try this and see if it takes you to it. If so just go ahead and run it and post the results. I do have an HP (Compaq Presario about 2003 vintage) however i cannot find anything identified specifically as "diagnostic" so perhaps it is a feature only available on more recent HP computers such as yours. I did find a reference to accessing it on a web search via the following method
                  "Click Start -> All Programs -> HP My Display -> Display Diagnostic Utility."
                  See if that brings it up for you. keep me informed.truenorth

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »
                      A comprehensive hardware diagnostic means no Windows, no drivers, and no application software need even be in the room.  The effective diagnostic is that diagnostic software and the hardware - nothing more.  A hardware diagnostics means eliminating everything - especially Windows - to only test hardware.

Only the better computers (ie HP, Dell) will provide these tools.  All others have diagnostics but cannot be bothered to release them (my personal slap at Gateway and eMachines because their techs were also just as uncooperative).

When a computer first boots, you can selecct Windows or the diagnostic.  Generally, that option is enabled by pressing F2, F5, or F8 repeatedly when the computer first starts - so that options are offered.  Or the diagnostic can boot from a floppy or from the CD-Rom.  However those who fail to install a diagnostic partition on a new disk have simply destroyed a powerful tool.

HP provides details in Testing for Hardware Problems using PC-Doctor in:
                    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00041380&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=62740

or Using PC-Doctor Offline DOS Diagnostics to Verify Hardware Problems in:
                    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00471587&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=62740

Next step.  Heat is a diagnostic tool.  Once these tests have passed in room temperature, then put the computer in a 100 degree F room and repeat testing.  Heat is not hardware destructive and is  how to find future failures long before failures harden.

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
                      « Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 08:20:37 PM »
                      well i went to the first link for the PC Doctor and i ran the audio test for speakers i'll post a picture of the error message i got

[attachment deleted by admin]

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »
                        well i went to the first link for the PC Doctor and i ran the audio test for speakers
                          Rather strange that a diagnostic (that is a self standing program and is not executing under Windows) requires a driver.

Meanwhile, audio drivers for Realtek audio, also known as the program  sp26558.exe,  are here:
                        http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-35408-2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=1137823

Also listed are pre-existing conditions to be met before loading an audio driver.

If I read that diagnostic correctly, diagnostic drivers cannot access the hardware.  Either hardware is fubar, or something in the BIOS setup has created a hardware problem.

I assume, back when Windows was operating, that nothing in Device Manager was in conflict.  And that anything that was in conflict was deleted in Device Manager, then the system shutdown and rebooted.  Conflict with any other device would means Windows cannot automatically reload correct drivers.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
                          korrenmaa,In my continuing effort to help you with your sound problem i have come across this article which seems to have a bearing on your situation, It is beyond me as to what it is advocating (other than there seems to be an issue with slimline computers as to what the drivers are--ATI or realtek) and the solution for this person's problem seemed to hinge on that point.Which did seem to get solved. Maybe it will make sense to you or others that have superior knowledge to me. truenorth
                          https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=214076

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
                            « Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 10:06:55 AM »
                            ok well i did look at that artice, truenorth but it didn't make alot of sense to me

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2009, 09:44:32 AM »
                              Korrenmaa,Yes well as i said it was somewhat confusing to me also but what i gather is that while basically HP (slimline) gives the owner the impression that all slimlines have a realtek audio device that in reality for whatever their reason they also install ATI audio devices in place of the realtek. Therefore when the user has a problem and believes that a solution will be forthcoming with realtek associated drivers they won't be. Because when the association of the downloaded drivers is attempted "no device found" is the result. Sound familiar? It is only when a search for the device with an ATI hardware base is executed does an association become possible. If i remember from that link wasn't a link to the alternative ATI drivers provided. I should have asked this earlier but where in the warranty process are you with the computer? I am not asking this in terms of returning the computer i am asking it in terms of possible free access to HP tech support for the problem and to perhaps resolve what actually you do have installed as a sound device. Also have you ever tried a time based recovery since this problem arose? truenorth

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2009, 08:23:43 AM »
                                korrenmaa, The Gods aligned to give ME almost the same problem we were trying to solve for you.I sought the help of the CH forum (hardware) gurus. Broni presented the following suggestions:

Try here: http://driverscollection.com/?H=nForce%20220&By=NVidia

Also...

One of these may help:
                                1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
                                Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
                                or...
                                2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
                                Restart computer.
                                or...
                                3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
                                Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
                                Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
                                Accept registry merge.
                                Restart computer.
                                or...
                                4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
                                You'll see two items:
                                - ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
                                - ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
                                Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
                                Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.
                                Please note that the 1st option re the nForce drivers is not applicable to your chipset so don't try that one. However "2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060" using the "let me fix it" option solved my problem. You might want to check it out. If it doesn't work for you you might look at the other suggestions Broni provided. Goodluck truenorth