Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Power to Tower  (Read 7242 times)

Raptor

Re: No Power to Tower
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2005, 01:49:45 PM »
I have taken the cover off the tower and examined the power unit. I do not see switch like the one you describe above. I see a switch that says " Compatibable Switch: with two arrows going in opposite directions of each other above the switch itself. It is in the down position. No one could have opened my case and changed anything.  

Not all Power Supply Units have an on/off (I/O) switch located on the back.

I checked the power supply cord. it is good. I plugged it into a computer monitor here at work and it came on

Then I would assume another hardware component is the culprit.

I suggest you:

1. Remove and/or disconnect any hardware that is currently installed.
-- Be extremely careful when removing hardware or when working in the system case.. Unplug the power cable ledaing to the Power Supply Unit and be certain to take precautionary measures against electro-static discharge.
2. Continue to test the computer by adding one hardware component at the time. Once added, turn on the computer to see if it responds.
3. Repeat for all hardware removed and/or disconnected.

To learn more about ESD, see this article.

howdydoo

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2005, 02:02:18 PM »

Not all Power Supply Units have an on/off (I/O) switch located on the back.

Then I would assume another hardware component is the culprit.

I suggest you:

1. Remove and/or disconnect any hardware that is currently installed.
-- Be extremely careful when removing hardware or when working in the system case.. Unplug the power cable ledaing to the Power Supply Unit and be certain to take precautionary measures against electro-static discharge.
2. Continue to test the computer by adding one hardware component at the time. Once added, turn on the computer to see if it responds.
3. Repeat for all hardware removed and/or disconnected.

To learn more about ESD, see this article.

Could you please give me an example of what hardware you are talking about. I have a regular CD rom and a rewriteable CD-rom and an A drive. It has not been working properly as of late. That's it.  

I just disconnected all the above hardware and  connected each one, one at a time. No response from the power switch when plugged into a power receptical. The power switch is sound. I looked it over.

No One could have tampered with the unit. I was at work and when I got home is was off. It has loaded properly for months. I had Windows XP installed 3 months ago. the installer said everything was fine with the computer but he was little worried about the hard drive. he said it made a little noise on boot up so he suggested I not shut it down and re-boot unless nessesary. I havent. The computer has never ran better.

Are we getting any closer?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 02:14:07 PM by howdydoo »

howdydoo

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2005, 02:39:10 PM »
thanks for your help guys. I will not have computer access till on Wednesday. I am off for the holidays. I was just hoping to get this resolved before then. I will take it to my computer guy on Tuesday I guess and see what he can do for me. thanks so much for your help and input. I am leaving here now so I will not be able to respond to any of your post or read them until I get back on line with my computer or return to work on Wednesday

Have a great weekend!
Pamela

merlin_2

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2005, 02:43:19 PM »
Quote: I have a regular CD rom and a rewriteable CD-rom and an A drive. It has not been working properly as of late. That's it.   howdydoo

---------------------------------------------------------------------
How old is this pc.......how much ram has it got...what is the make of it......does ........mobo?

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 03:54:41 PM »
Please let us know what the problem was when you have the computer back in your possession.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 03:55:15 PM by Raptor »

howdydoo

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 02:26:13 AM »
Please let us know what the problem was when you have the computer back in your possession.

Well I have the computer back in my possesion and it was just the Power Supply Unit. My son and I changed it out and the computer booted right up and I am back in business. The fan on the other unit was froze up solid  and the fuse was blown.

Everything else seems to working properly and I lost nothing on the hard drive. My son run a dianostics test, what ever that is, and he said I was good to go.

Thanks Raptor and Merlin. I will be back again when my system gets sick. You guys are priceless.

Pamela

Raptor

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 09:24:33 AM »
Thank you for letting know what the problem was, do not hesitate to come back when you require more help.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 09:25:06 AM by Raptor »