Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Device Manager-Infrared Devices, Yellow exclamation mark  (Read 3293 times)

jocaan

Topic Starter

Device Manager-Infrared Devices, Yellow exclamation mark
    « on: July 24, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »
    Under Infrared Devices I have a yellow exclamation mark by "Serial Cable using IrDA Protocol."
    This is a HP laptop computer with Windows XP Media Center Edition.  I'm hooked up to my wireless home network which just includes my desktop computer and this laptop.   
    I am trying to partition and format a new Seagate SATA hard drive using a USB hard drive adapter and cannot get the hard drive recoginzed but I think that is another forum question. 
    When I try to troubleshoot and install a better driver in order to remove the exclamation mark a message indicates there is nothing wrong with this device (what particular device they are mentioning I do not know).  The message indicates there is not a better driver.  Yet the exclamation mark remains.  I do have an external floppy drive I use plugged in through a USB connector sometime but not now.  What other infrared device the message is referring I have no idea. 
    Frank C.     

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Device Manager-Infrared Devices, Yellow exclamation mark
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »
    Re-install your MBoard drivers from the Driver CD that shipped with the machine...
    Re-boot.
    As to the HDD we need some more info.

And stop relying on Windows for Driver updates...it's futile at best...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jocaan

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
      It worked perfectly.  Thanks.  Re: the other problem I think it was because I did not partition the new hard drive that this laptop would not see it.  However the drive did show up in Norton's Partition Manager so I partitioned it and I think it is ok now.  It is a Seagate hard drive and although I installed the Seagate software it would not find the drive, or else I was just too tired and did not know how to use the Seagate software when it was installed on the C: drive and I was trying to use it, from the C: drive to partition and format this new hard drive that was attached to the laptop via a USB drive adapter.  Thanks again.  Frank C. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:23:20 AM »
      You're more than Welcome...stop by anytime.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "