Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two Modems, One DSL Connection  (Read 18314 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Two Modems, One DSL Connection
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »
I'm thinking of setting up a connection so I can watch streaming video on my teevee; trouble is, that is the farthest point from where my wireless modem/router is, so I get a weak signal.

Moving that isn't an option.

I was wondering if I bought a second DSL modem, could I plug that in in the other room? And use both modems simultaneously?

Thanks.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Two Modems, One DSL Connection
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »
You would have to talk to your ISP, many will not support multiple modems.
Have you thought about either running an RJ-45 cable or using a high gain antenna?
Evil is an exact science.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:40:25 AM »
Powerline adapters are an excellent, interference-free option.  They can be pricy, but they are almost completely trouble-free, which is more than I can say for wifi.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »
Good catch Rob.
Evil is an exact science.

TechGeek

Intermediate
    • Guide to WiFi Optimization
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »
If you want 2 modems you will need 2 phone lines; so you have to pay extra.
I help run my home improvement and home automation forum.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 11:29:23 PM »
So I'm thinking of trying out this powerline setup.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Currently I have DSL=>Modem=>Wireless Router

The signal isn't strong enough to reach upstairs.

So what if I plugged in a powerline adapter like this one and connected it to the modem... Then, upstairs, plugged in a powerline router and connected THAT to an additional wireless router... There's no reason that shouldn't work, right? Giving me two wireless networks off of one connection?

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

joshuasabat2

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:20:02 AM »
Two modems is not a good solution, because you have to pay extra money for that, but as my point of view there is no other alternative so you may buy two modems. :)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »
That's one modem, two wireless routers...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »
Use a second Wireless router as a relay. You find a location in the house where the second wireless can deliver good signal to both upstairs and downstairs. The configure it as a wireless bridge.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 06:35:52 PM »
Wait-wha?

Skip the Powerline converter entirely? Does your basic wireless router have bridging capability?

Is this so simple that I've become a mouth breathing moron?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »
Here are the general rules.
The primary router is the one that connects to the internet. In my case it is a Two-Wire wireless router with DSL modem all in one unit.

The second (and third router) do not do DHCP. Each additional router has to have a base address the is a little different that the primary router, but in the same sub-group.

All rooters should use different wireless channels best results. Avoid adjacent frequencies.

In a bridge configuration the routers all use the same SID and secure and passwords.

If any ruter does not have the wireless bridge feature, it must have a direct Ethernet cable,.

So you need to chose devices  have that ability if you can not tie them with cable.

It takes a little experimentation to find a location for a  secondary router can bother get a signal from the primary and deliver coverage to remote computers.

I have found a good link yet, maybe somebody else has a odd guide. The eHow site has an article that does not even tell you as much as what I just said here. So they are not help.

If nobody else fins guide for you, I will be back later. My grown-up little girl has come to town with her hubby and they brought Pizza.  I will be gone for a while.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
Here is a very good document.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
New in DD-WRT v24 is Repeater Bridge mode. This extends your primary LAN via secondary router (bridge router) and also allows wireless clients to connect to your secondary router. This extends the range of your wireless network while simultaneously allowing wired clients to connect to your secondary router
Any  secondary router has to have the bridge feature if a Ethernet cable can not be run from the primary to any secondary.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »

If any ruter does not have the wireless bridge feature, it must have a direct Ethernet cable,.

Thanks! I'm going to presume thumb-typing (or pizza fingers!)...

To confirm:

The PRIMARY router does NOT need to have wireless bridge feature, just the secondaries.

Would you recommend going this route (no pun intended) over the one I outlined in my diagram?

Thanks for all your help.

(btw my Primary is an old (all the way back to 2007!!!!) ActionTec all-in-one modem/router. Everything is wireless in the house, I'm just tired of a weak signal upstairs - particularly now that the neighbors have password-protected THEIR wireless!)

immental1200

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 12:42:34 PM »
Set up as shown in diagram in picture.

On the second router have the SAME wireless SSID and make sure the security (encryption) settings are the same

DCHP MUST be turned off on the second router.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 01:11:18 PM »
immental1200
You can make your own power line adapters for short distances.
Can you explain to them how to make a power line adapter?
The telephone line also can be used if there is a phone outlet upstairs.
Any 802.11 thing with an antenna can be lightly couples to house wiring with mixed results. Sometimes it works great.