Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Locate C:/WINDOWS folder  (Read 2680 times)

passionable.rae

Topic Starter

Starter

• <3
    Can't Locate C:/WINDOWS folder
    « on: July 29, 2009, 11:00:25 PM »
    This is pretty scary for me because I know this folder's pretty darn important. When I came home tonight, I noticed that something wasn't quite right with my folders in my C drive. My uncle, who isn't that computer savvy, used my internet while I was gone and he said he used task manager to shut down the computer, but it didn't do it fully, so I came home to nothing but my desktop's wallpaper and nothing else--that's what got me to notice the missing WINDOWS folder. He told me he didn't delete anything, so I have no idea how to get this thing back.

Other than that, everything seemed functional. I know there's a Fonts folder in WINDOWS and I was still able to use Open Office and all of its fonts. So the folder may just be hidden. I really don't know. I just hope I don't have to do anything drastic.

Help please?

- Raeven
    be blessed.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Can't Locate C:/WINDOWS folder
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:55:41 PM »
    well, if you have the system restore always on, and there is a recent restore point just before today when your uncle used your computer, you can try using that.

At the very worst, either nothing will have changed or you restore back to an earlier time. But if you successfully restore to an earlier time and decide that it's no good and want to undo the restoration, you can do that too.

passionable.rae

Topic Starter

Starter

• <3
      « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:01:49 AM »
      That's the first thing I did, and for some reason, I press Next on the final stage of System Restore, to actually run the restart and everything, and it doesn't want to go on. Shady, but I haven't tried it again, so maybe I will now. Thank you. xD
      be blessed.

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
      maybe you want to boot into safe mode and then reattempt the system restore procedure to see if that works :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:00:46 PM »
      Other than that, everything seemed functional

If Windows will start and is working correctly, then the C:\Windows folder is definitely there, and not only that, it still contains the files and subfolders necessary for Windows to work properly.

So, have you tried these steps?

Control Panel | Folder Options | View -

1. check the radio button "Show hidden files and folders"

2. uncheck the box "Hide protected operating system files"

3. click Apply

4. click OK.

passionable.rae

Topic Starter

Starter

• <3
        « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:39:58 PM »
        maybe you want to boot into safe mode and then reattempt the system restore procedure to see if that works :)

That's a good idea. I haven't tried that yet, but I luckily found the folder, so all is well. ^ ^ Thank you anyway!
        be blessed.

passionable.rae

Topic Starter

Starter

• <3
          « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »
          If Windows will start and is working correctly, then the C:\Windows folder is definitely there, and not only that, it still contains the files and subfolders necessary for Windows to work properly.

So, have you tried these steps?

Control Panel | Folder Options | View -

1. check the radio button "Show hidden files and folders"

2. uncheck the box "Hide protected operating system files"

3. click Apply

4. click OK.

*sigh* That did the trick. Thank you so much! I learned something new. xD
          be blessed.

2x3i5x

Expert
          « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 11:45:31 PM »
          glad you had it working.I was already wondering why that folder was missing if windows was loading properly, as windows folder contains the windows system files anyway.