Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Winamp - Ipod  (Read 6608 times)

Tatamagouche

Topic Starter

Starter

Winamp - Ipod
    « on: July 27, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »
    Can anyone direct me (an entry-level, novice, and not-too-smart senior citizen) to basic operating instructions for using Winamp Pro 5.56 to tranfer music from my old Ipod to my new one?  I was able to copy my music library to Winamp before I accidentally erased the library from the old Ipod.  Now I can't seem to do anything with the library in Winamp.  I thought a program called Anapod would get me out of trouble, but it seems that, like my Winamp upgrade was another waste of $30.  I don't want to waste anyone's time asking for help but if anyone knows of an understandable overview of Winamp on the Internet I would be very appreciative for the URL.  Thank you kindly!

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Winamp - Ipod
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »
    My first comment is not so much an answer to your immediate question but a solution to the headaches you've been facing:

Move your music to iTunes and use that (it's so much easier to use than winamp, especially if you are using an iPod in conjunction, and are an entry-level user).

Now, on to your current situation.

If you want to load your playlists from winamp onto your ipod, simply hook up the iPod, right click on whichever playlists you want on the ipod, and choose "sent to" --> "iPod." 

If you don't see your iPod at all in winamp, that's another story.

Tatamagouche

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »
      Thank you, Socrates, for your response.

I seem limited in my choices to transfer music anywhere, given that my only music library is now in Winamp and I can't seem to copy it or send it, either to my Ipod or to Itunes.

When I select Manage Playlists / Send Play List To... in Winamp there is no "iTUNES" choice.  Without it, I'm stuck with respect to making such a transfer

There is a choice however for sending the music library from Winamp to my Ipod as you suggested.  I repeatedly attempted the transfer and all seems to look good as it appears to be transferring each song rapidly to the Ipod with a notation beside each song "status waiting."  However, at the end of the final song transfer to the queue each song's notation changes from "status waiting" to "cannot open file."  The Ipod is blank; no transfer has been completed.

I then attempted (by way of purchasing Winamp Pro) to ensure that the songs' format is correct.  I attempted to send the play list to Winamp Pro's format converter and got an error message that "transcoding failed"  and "cannot find decoder." 

I very much appreciate your effort to solve this problem.  I'm hoping you won't wast your time on this, but if anything simple crosses your mind I welcome any ideas.  I thought about calling on assistance from an elementary school student... but, it's a pride thing.

Thank you kindly.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:21:47 AM »
      My recommendation would be to find out where winamp is storing your music files.  They have to be somewhere on your computer.  If you can find them, you should be able to import them into iTunes.

If you're not sure how to find it, one easy trick is to go to start --> find and then type in the name of one of your songs.  See if it pops up.