Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mulreays product review.  (Read 15356 times)

Mulreay

Mulreays product review.
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:41:16 PM »
Hi guy's I fancy myself as a bit of critic so I'm going to offer some reviews on computers/software and the such. These will take some time to type up so only constructive criticism please!  ;D

Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 ultra

Ok so you think your DVD player application is very much like any other you would be wrong. Cyberlink have created just about the best feature packed and comprehensive programme I have seen.
Multiple disk format support Yes
Advanced navigation controls yes
An option to remix and re-edit the scenes from the DVD and upload the finished result to the web. You guessed it yes

If you decide to opt for the ultra edition you will get a whole host of functionality for your money, blu-ray discs are supported, assuming you have the correct hardware installed of course, as is DVD-audio media and discs created using the Divx pro codec.
The true theatre tech employed by the software enhances the detail and the colour in your videos, getting the best out of both the source material and your hardware.
Uncompressed hi-def sound is supported as well, meaning that PowerDVD is a sensible choice if you have a home cinema system setup surrounding your box of tricks.
As well as the headlining features you will find a number of smaller utilities that can be handy. The 'say it again' tool repeats lines you might of missed, while read-it-clearly enables you to position the subtitle display wherever you need it on the screen.
The movie re-mix feature can be used to chop and change scenes, add annotations and images, then share over the web. This will tie in with cyberlinks moovielive service.
www.cyberlink.com
£59.99 US $99.95

This review was compiled using multiple other reviews.
More reviews coming very soon... possibly tonight (it's 00:17am here)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:17:42 PM by Mulreay »

Mulreay

Re: Mulreays product review.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »
Chart your family tree

The key part of any genealogy project is producing a chart to show off the results.

Lets try
www.eogen.com/GEDCOM
www.ancestory.com
www.family-historian.co.uk Freeware 30 day free trial
www.genopro.com 14 day free trial
www.legacyfamilytree.com freeware (limited functionality)
www.whollygenes.com 30 day free trial

Legacy 6 or legacy family tree

This was the one I found most appealing

Legacy 6 enables you to build virtual record cards for each of your decendants. It includes the ability to add photographs and list the sources of your info. Legacy comes with a sample file that you can open to try out the features without using your own data, and info can be displayed in various ways either in list or chart format. In list views you can customise what you see by rearranging the columns. You can also perform internet searches directly from the programme and it is possible to output your info on a webpage. Prity cool. There are restrictions in the free version but you can upgrade. Note you need to enter the password 'family' to install the programme.

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:12:08 PM »
Hope you enjoy.If there is anything people would like a review of specifically then let me know.  ;)

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:18:40 PM »
Youtube

Oh yes it's the daddy!

As far as video sharing portals go, youtube www.youtube.com is the recognised market leader, a position recognised by Google's purchase of it in Oct 2006, just a year and a bit after it was founded. Youtube's appeal was the ease of use - for the first time users with little PC knowledge or interweb experience could get a video uploaded and viewed by millions in a matter of minutes. Recent indications are that there are close to 100 million videos now up on youtube.com., with a total of three Billion views every month. Whilst the site does not make an official profit recent advertising rights suggests it will. (very soon).
Youtube recently struck some deals with film and t.v companies that will allow them to upload full length movies and programmes to the portal.
This is likely to provide a steady stream of revenue for the entertainment industry, bearing in mind the number of visitors youtube attracts. Recent changes to the site now make it easier for music, movie and TV companies to identify copyrighted content uploaded without permission by users, something which youtube has attracted criticism for in the past.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:21:52 PM »
Nice!  Would you mind letting me use the one about Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 ultra?  For my blog lol

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »
Nice!  Would you mind letting me use the one about Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 ultra?  For my blog lol

Go for it. Where is your blog?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:39:37 PM »
Thanks!! It has nothing on it as you will see as you look at your unread posts and click on the what are you thinking part

Mulreay

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 06:47:39 PM »
I'm your first follower. Feel privileged! lol  :D

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »
I do.  A blog with nothing and I aready have a follower  ;D

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:48 PM »
I do.  A blog with nothing and I aready have a follower  ;D

It speaks volumes! You have not said a word and already people are following you! Genius!

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:59:53 PM »
hehehe

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 09:10:51 PM »
A duck followed me to the beach once. Turned out it wasn't following me at all, it was going to the beach too. *censored*.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mulreay

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »
A duck followed me to the beach once. Turned out it wasn't following me at all, it was going to the beach too. *censored*.

I had a picture of some ducks that I took when I was walking to work but I can't find it. Not the best story but I'll keep you posted  ;)
I found one but the swearing on it will certainly see me with a ban!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:36:01 AM by Mulreay »

Mulreay

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 03:42:36 PM »
Sauerbraten

Sauerbraten is a first person shooter that offers excitement and action in a style reminiscent of Quake II. It's the not the most advanced game of it's type available, it is immersive, with an affective lighting and solid physics engine, and a great soundtrack. It's draws on the success of its predecessor Cube with extensive and original editing options. Like Cube, Sauerbraten is free, open source and runs on Windows, Linux, freeBSD and Mac OS x.

Cube was a project that took the editing of 3d games to a new level, with the ability to create scenery in real time within the game. As well as general improvements to the game engine, the editing features in Sauerbraten are more advanced, with it's six-directional heightfield deformable cube octree system. Basically, this means that you can build any shape by starting with a rectangle on the floor, extending upwards to create a cuboid and pull in different directions to create your shape.

Rather than follow a story structure, the game is based on showcasing it's tech.
If you want to enter the edit suite press the E key.

http://sauerbraten.org/

Mulreay

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 02:51:33 PM »
Re-Vamp Win XP

Although Win Vista has now been on sale for quite a while, most of us will only change are OS if we replace our computers. If you feel that your copy of XP has become a little sluggish and jaded or your just looking at Vista and wishing you had some of those features there are plenty of ways to help.

Updated programmes

A lot of the programmes supplied as standard with XP are starting to look a bit dated now, but the good news is that most have newer versions available to download from the Microsoft website. These include live messanger, live mail and a newer version of media player (beware if you have a pirate copy of XP on your system these can result in a complete shutdown of your OS. And so it should.) You can also try Powertoys which will add some functions not standard with XP including making your desktop imitate Vista.
Since the launch of XP, MS has made many extra features available as powertoys. These are semi-functional in that there available to download from the MS website, but there not supported by MS.
Try TweakUi (very good)

Powertoys link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 10:37:32 PM »
Hi guy's I fancy myself as a bit of critic

Yeah, you're a critic.   ;D :D ;D
Evil is an exact science.

Mulreay

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 12:00:23 PM »
DVDvideosoft:

I have been using this package for over a year now, if you want to download off youtube, convert a file this may be the programme for you. It is a treasure trove of utilities.

Applications:

1. Youtube downloader
2. Youtube to iPod and psp converter
3. Youtube to MP3 converter
4. Video to flash converter
5. 3gp converter
6. Video dub
7. Audio dub
8. Youtube uploader
9. Video flip and rotate
10. Video to JPG converter
11. Video to DVD converter
12. DVD video burner
13. DVD decrypter
14. Video to iPod and psp converter
15. Video to Iphone converter
16. Youtube to Iphone converter
17. Video to Mp3 converter
18. Audio converter
19. Audio CD burner
20. Disc burner

All these programmes work as advertised, a nice way to play around with your music and video tracks.
Download here:
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm

I know you don't need telling but don't check the taskbar box. If it's checked then uncheck it.
A very versatile small piece of software.

Mulreay

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 02:50:07 PM »
Printfolder

A very small utility it allows you to print the contents of a folder with easy access as well as sub folders. You can play around with the date time parameters and set the margins etc.
You can print or save.
It works within Windows explorer so just right click on the file.

Very easy to use and not demanding when it comes to disk space.

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

Courtesy of WillyW  ;)

Mulreay

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 06:41:23 AM »
Xpadder

Hi guy’s another review for you:

Ever wanted to use your gamepad on a DOS game or well any game to be fair.
Look no further xpadder holds the key. Very small weight programme that allows you to configure your gamepad to act like any mouse or keyboard function. It’s not the most straight forward interface but once you get to grips with it you can set the gamepad up to work on any game inc DOS games.
Unfortunately if you go to www.xpadder.com they will charge you for the full version. I did manage to find a freeware version the only difference being you don’t get automatic updates and you can’t use there templates for the gamepad image (big deal) make your own I did.
Very worthwhile as some older games don’t cater for dual stick pads etc and lets face it most DOS games don’t cater for anything other than a keyboard/mouse combo.
You can create different profiles as well to cater for each game you have. I’ve just finished my first one for unreal tournament and after a little tweaking it now works perfectly.
If you need any help finding this programme or help using it give me a shout.
Hope you enjoy.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 06:44:34 AM »
Xpadder = Pure Awesomeness.   ;)

It emulates the keyboard and mouse with your gamepad.

I absolutely love using it to get my xbox controller working with my PC.

Mulreay

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 06:47:05 AM »
Xpadder = Pure Awesomeness.   ;)

It emulates the keyboard and mouse with your gamepad.

I absolutely love using it to get my xbox controller working with my PC.

I know I love it. My logitech would not work on a lot of games now.... works on whatever I want  :D

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 08:08:40 AM »
Mulreay, why don't you post separate topics for each item you review and name the topic in such a way that the title indicates what you're reviewing?  That's how everyone else does it.  I think that makes more sense; that's the way topics are supposed to be posted.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »
I think he wants his own sub-Forum.... ::)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mulreay

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 09:04:01 AM »
Or may be I started something a couple of weeks ago that I have just been adding little bits to.
I just wanted something that new or old members can have a glance over. Not a sub-forum just a quick easy way to have a look over some products I use. Old forum topics disappear so people (new) don't see them anymore unless they search through the pages.
What's the big deal? I'm well within forum rules and nobody is forced to read it.

Edit: I also don't expect people to respond to this post so that would be a terrible forum.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 10:00:12 AM »
Don't be so sensitive...if it's done Topic by Topic it can be searched.

Simple reason.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 10:24:46 AM »
I would have made a couple posts right after your first one and put "reserved for future reviews" and just edited them and of course add like 5 reviews per post

Mulreay

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,88851.msg601644.html#msg601644

-- Just FYI, http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/dvdvideosoft.com

Sorry I have had no warnings at all about this site from Norton and have had not one issue with it since I got it. I run regular scans with malwarebytes, Norton and SAS not a bean.

Don't worry I'm gonna drop this thread it's more trouble than it's worth.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
Norton
???!!!!
you really should use something else