Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OSx86  (Read 12495 times)

hot dog

OSx86
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »
Is it legal to download this?       

If so, is it legal to install on a pc?  If not, is it legal to intall it on a virtual machine like VMware?

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: OSx86
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »
Is it legal to download this?       

If so, is it legal to install on a pc?  If not, is it legal to intall it on a virtual machine like VMware?

This is a very gray area.

According to apple's terms and conditions in their EULA, they say that their software can only be used on "Apple-branded" devices.  Some people have claimed that putting an apple sticker on any machine would technically bypass that, but if you're worried about legality of things I'm going to recommend not trying to use that one in court.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »
is psystar legal? Psystar offers MacOSX on non-apple hardware....

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
there have been legal battles between apple and psystar, and in the latest one, psystar won.

However, to my knowledge apple is appealing the court's decision.

hot dog

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:59:25 AM »
I heard that Apple stole OS X from Linux..........I haven't read anything on that before, that's just what I heard.  However, based on that, and depending on the degree of what was actually "stolen" I can see how people could justify downloading OSx86.

Personally, since Leopard is a trademark of Apple which is one of the OSx86 versions, I'd have a hard time downloading it without guilt..  :(       I'm just very curious to hear others' opinions and comments..

I think what I'll end up doing is just buying a MAC computer, since I really need to learn the MAC, and dual boot it with Windows, since they ship with Intel chips now....How convenient, you get a MAC and a PC (so to speak) in one....instead of buying two separate computers..

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:37:56 AM by block_head »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:17:17 AM »
it's a MAC address... the computer is a Mac  ;)

the words "steal" when talking about this type of thing are a bit overzealous- Apple didn't  "steal" OSX from "Linux"- it's simply based off a Linux kernel (darwin I think?) The rest of the code (for the GUI and so forth) they added themselves, as far as I'm aware.

This is similar to the whole MS stole windows from Apple, apple stole from xerox, etc etc-

they didn't "steal"- they saw neat features, and implemented them on their own. Apple didn't duplicate the xerox star code, they duplicated the functionality- and MS didn't duplicate the Apple GUI on the PC, they duplicated the functionality (well, they tried too... it took a few versions :P). Saying they "stole" it is to undermine the vast number of man-hours that both companies (MS and Apple) employees spent writing their own versions.

In a similar vein, why does nobody say that MS word is stolen from WordStar? Or that WordStar itself is simply a stolen and enhanced version of EDIT, or e, or that OpenOffice is some kind of bastardized version of VIM?

No, it's the ideas they "stole"... which, as I said, is a bit of harsh wording.

if a car catches fire, and one passenger breaks the window to escape- and the other passengers do the same- can that first passenger sue the others for stealing his idea? Probably not.

The first person to think of an idea is hardly ever the first person to implement it, anyway.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:08:27 AM »
I heard that Apple stole OS X from Linux..........I haven't read anything on that before, that's just what I heard.  However, based on that, and depending on the degree of what was actually "stolen" I can see how people could justify downloading OSx86.

Personally, since Leopard is a trademark of Apple which is one of the OSx86 versions, I'd have a hard time downloading it without guilt..  :(       I'm just very curious to hear others' opinions and comments..

I think what I'll end up doing is just buying a MAC computer, since I really need to learn the MAC, and dual boot it with Windows, since they ship with x86 chips now....How convenient, you get a MAC and a PC (so to speak) in one....instead of buying two separate computers..

That's incorrect.  Apple's OS X is based on Unix, the same open source OS that linux is based off of (though apple's unix is a bit of a different flavor than most linux distros)

As far as feeling bad about downloading it, I don't... and have downloaded it in the past.  However, his question was: is it legal?  to that I say: probably not.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:09:51 AM »

the words "steal" when talking about this type of thing are a bit overzealous- Apple didn't  "steal" OSX from "Linux"- it's simply based off a Linux kernel (darwin I think?) The rest of the code (for the GUI and so forth) they added themselves, as far as I'm aware.

This is similar to the whole MS stole windows from Apple, apple stole from xerox, etc etc-

they didn't "steal"- they saw neat features, and implemented them on their own. Apple didn't duplicate the xerox star code, they duplicated the functionality- and MS didn't duplicate the Apple GUI on the PC, they duplicated the functionality (well, they tried too... it took a few versions :P). Saying they "stole" it is to undermine the vast number of man-hours that both companies (MS and Apple) employees spent writing their own versions.

In a similar vein, why does nobody say that MS word is stolen from WordStar? Or that WordStar itself is simply a stolen and enhanced version of EDIT, or e, or that OpenOffice is some kind of bastardized version of VIM?

No, it's the ideas they "stole"... which, as I said, is a bit of harsh wording.

if a car catches fire, and one passenger breaks the window to escape- and the other passengers do the same- can that first passenger sue the others for stealing his idea? Probably not.

The first person to think of an idea is hardly ever the first person to implement it, anyway.

*clap*  ;D *clap*

hot dog

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 03:01:44 PM »
ditto

clap clap clap clap clap clap     ::)

hot dog

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 03:48:24 AM »

or perhaps I meant, Big MAC from McDonald's   ;D

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 07:20:23 AM »
or perhaps I meant, Big MAC from McDonald's   ;D

:-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:33 AM »
McDonalds sells computers?

I wonder if I'd get an Ipod with a happy meal...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hot dog

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 02:37:31 PM »
McDonalds sells computers?

I wonder if I'd get an Ipod with a happy meal...

lol

hot dog

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »
:-\

what's the matter ?  didn't you like my joke?  ::)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:17:04 AM by blockHEAD »

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 07:48:41 AM »
what's the matter ?  didn't you like my joke?  ::)

Like is such a relative term...  ;)