Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loss of Connection  (Read 13280 times)

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

Loss of Connection
    « on: August 02, 2009, 10:00:41 PM »
    Hi, I recently lost the ability to connect my PC to the internet.  I've searched and tried out a few troubleshooting solutions but nothing has worked.  Last night I kicked the power cord for my PC... After rebooting I was unable to get an IP address when connecting to the internet.  Now, I have no idea if kicking the power bar could possibly have anything to do with my problem.  I'm sure it was just a coincidence. 

I know for a fact that there is no problem with my router or the ethernet cables because two other computers on the network haven't had any problems.  I've tried other cables with no luck. I've also run Ad-Aware and viru scans which havent found anything.  There have not been any recent changes to my computer that I could connect to the problem.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hot dog

Re: Loss of Connection
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:03:34 AM »
    well lets see if I can take a shot at this..  ;)  I'm going to throw a few possible solutions at you instead of only one at a time, to speed this up.

Open a command prompt and type: ipconfig     and press enter...  What does it say your "default gateway" and "ip address" is?    Or does it say, "media disconnected"?

If no IP address for you computer showed up with IPCONFIG then try this first: Power down the problematic PC and the router (if the other two working computers are plugged into the same power strip as the bad computer and router, make sure you power those down as well)  Next, power on the router and let it run until all activity lights are up to par...Once the router is up and running, then power on your PC to see if it will obtain and IP address automatically from the router.....that is, if your computer is configured for DHCP (obtaining ip addresses automatically from the default gateway, which is your router), which it probably is................IF you are using a modem, the modem must be the first thing to be powered on...Next the router must be powered on and fully running, then the computer....in that order.
    Once you've done this, look at your IPCONFIG stats. again and see if you've got your IP address back......

If your IP address is showing up and you still have no internet connection try this:

Open a command prompt and type: ping www.google.com
    press enter, and see if you get a "reply" back... If you get a reply back then the problem may be in your browser.... Try resetting your browser to "default" or "factory" settings.

Are you sure that the switch you are using is actually a "router" and not a gateway? Reason I ask is because some people use the terms interchangeably, but the type of cable used to connect a PC to them are different types. Those other cables you tried, what type of cables are they?  If you are connecting a PC to a router, a crossover cable must be used.  If you are connecting your PC to a gateway, a "straight" cable must be used.  Although the two cable types look alike, there internal wire configuration is quite different.....    Borrow a cable from one of the other two working computers for testing and see if it remedies your connection problem.....if you have not already done so...... 

If using one of the other two computer's cables doesn't work, make sure everything is up to par in Device Manager...  make sure there are no errors next to "network adapters"

Now, after all this, you still have no connection to the Internet, try this: Restart your computer...Immediately, when your computer begins to power on, tap the F8 key and enter the Advanced Options....Then select "safe mode with networking"....  When it boots try to connect to the internet and see if it works..
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:19:50 AM by blockHEAD »

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:33:19 AM »
    You can also try:

Go into control panel then device manager open up network adapters right click on your adapter and uninstall. Then restart your computer to automatically re-install. This sometimes works.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »
      Hi, I recently lost the ability to connect my PC to the internet.  I've searched and tried out a few troubleshooting solutions but nothing has worked.  Last night I kicked the power cord for my PC... After rebooting I was unable to get an IP address when connecting to the internet.
      blockHEAD is taking your through various "find out what is wrong before changing anything" process.  Very responsible.

Meanwhile, he is approaching the problem from a second layer.  You have assumed the first layer is good - ie Ethernet cables.  Maybe – but not definitive.  If good, then lights at both ends of the Ethernet cable glow when the computer connects to router.  Typically, a light exists adjacent to the computer's Ethernet cable.  Does it light?  And extinguishes when the cable is disconnected?

Another light is typically on the router's front panel.  Then the cable is disconnected from the rear, those the light (with the same numbers) extinguish?  These must happen to know (without doubt) that the NIC, router, and cable work properly at the lowest level of the Networking protocols.

What you may or may not discover using blockHEAD’s suggestions are same.  Get facts. First know what you have.  Make changes later.

hot dog

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »
      Reason I had him check the IP configuration first was because if an IP address IS showing up, along with his default gateway and subnet mask, then we can assume that the cable is good....because without a good cable, no IP address can be issued by DHCP.....When the computer is first switched on, DHCP will automatically assign an IP address if the cable is good...   I'm assuming he's using DHCP because most people do..

I'm trying to be systematic but my paragraphs are a little out of order....  I should have placed the paragraph about pinging after the paragraph about the cables... :P

edit: just realized that even if the IP configuration is displayed there could still be a bad connection between the NIC and router.......Doing an ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew is a better way to tell if the connection is good, without first trying a different cable

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:41:55 AM by blockHEAD »

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:14:58 PM »
        Reason I had him check the IP configuration first was because if an IP address IS showing up, along with his default gateway and subnet mask, then we can assume that the cable is good....because without a good cable, no IP address can be issued by DHCP.....When the computer is first switched on, DHCP will automatically assign an IP address if the cable is
        To expand on what blockHEAD has posted:
          Computer can have an IP address assigned dynamically (from the router) or statically (by a human). Most (default) is to lease an IP address.  That can only happen if lowest level hardware is working properly.  If the address is assigned statically, then low level hardware is still unknown.

What he is doing is 'following the evidence'.  First learn what exists.  The OP is strongly urged to perform those simple tests and collect the relevant information so that a solution can occur quickly (solved right and the first time).  So that any additional and relevant information may be added later, such as, why a power failure caused a problem this time and will not cause a problem again.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:38:23 AM »
          So, when I try to run ipconfig a dialog window opens up for a second and then disappears. and it doesn't show anything.  Same thing happens when I try to run it with "ping www.google.com".  It shows up and disappears without showing any info.

I know it's not a problem specific to the cable I'm using or to the router because I've tried using the same cables that were connected to the working PCs and I've tried using different ports on the router.

I tried uninstalling the network adapter through device manager too.  It re-installed fine upon rebooting but still could not connect to the internet.  It's tries to connect but isn't able to obtain an IP.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
            When I run in safe mode with networking and try to connect it says "Failed to query TCP/IP settings"

hot dog

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 02:56:47 PM »
            lol  ;)

You don't type IPCONFIG into a RUN command box..

Go to START>ALL PROGRAMS>Accessories>Command Prompt

When the Command Prompt Windows Opens up, type IPCONFIG and press enter

Once you press ENTER, it will display your current IP configuration, that is if you have any.. Just tell me everything that is says when you press enter..

I'm guessing that it's not going to list an IP address for you, but for the sake of being thorough go ahead and use the IPCONFIG command and tell me what it says....After that do that first step I suggested....Power down all your computers and unplug the router.  Leave the router unplugged for about 30 seconds before powering it back on...AFTER the router is totally powered up and all lights are on (it may take a few minutes), power on your PC, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG again, to see if you've got an IP address....

If you still see no IP address, now is the time to try one of the cables from the other working computers...   Plug in one of the other cables and restart the computer, open a command prompt again, type IPCONFIG and see if you've got an IP address...

If you still don't have an IP address, take a quike peak at the link light on your NIC (network interface card) and on the router.  The NIC is the thing that your network cable plugs into on your PC... When then cable is plugged into both the router and the PC and both are powered on, you should see a green or orange light come on, depending on the manufacturer of the NIC and router.   If you have an actuall network card in your PC, there should be an LED light off to the side of the cable port that lights up, if your NIC is built into the motherboard, the cable port itself should light up when you plug in the cable... With respect to the router, the light should be somewhere near the port, I'm guessing, just look for an LED light when the cable is plugged in.   IF no link lights are on it's a sign that the port on your NIC may have gone KA BLEWY !!   ;)   You may have some luck opening up the computer and making sure the NIC is properly seating in the expansion slot, that is if the NIC is the type you can remove..

If this is the case, try to find another NIC your can put into your computer, for testing.. If you don't have one, maybe you've got a friend you can borrow one from...

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:41:27 PM by blockHEAD »

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »
              Yea, please pardon my lack of computer knowledge :P

Alright so IPCONFIG gives me the following:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: phub.net.cable.rogers.com
              IP Address: 192.160.0.199
              Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
              Default Gateway: 192.160.0.1

It did come back with an IP address.  As for the NIC... I'm not really familiar with them but the one I use is built-in I think. It's not in a PCI slot or anything, the ethernet cable plugs into a jack that connects right to the motherboard.  The motherboard is ASROCK DualCore-VSTA in case you need to know that for any reason.  Unfortunately I don't have a NIC to use.  Should I go out and buy one?  And probably a stupid question, but could the sudden power interruption that occured when I kicked the powerbar have any relation to this problem?

hot dog

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 09:39:05 PM »
              No don't go buying another NIC yet
              « Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:42:47 AM by blockHEAD »

hot dog

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:41:30 PM »
              Do this next...  open a command prompt again and type:  ping www.google.com 

To you get a "reply" back or a "time out" ??

edit: Just curious, what browser are you using?
              « Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:44:04 AM by blockHEAD »

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 09:54:33 PM »
                It times out.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:03:06 PM »
                  Chrome or Explorer.

hot dog

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:08:24 PM »
                  Try this next:  START>control panel>network connections

Right click on the icon you see in the Window, click on "repair."

When it finishes, try connecting to the Internet again..

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:17 PM »
                    Tried that.  It tried to find an IP address and then finally fails and says that there is limited or no connectivity.

hot dog

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »
                    Which service pack do you have installed on your computer......

Open RUN command and type: winver     and click OK

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 10:20:52 PM »
                      Service Pack 2.  I read about a problem with SP2 and connecting to the internet.  I downloaded a fix for that but it didn't work.

hot dog

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 10:23:32 PM »
                      alright....lets go back to your router

Power down all computers and router..... Let wait 30 seconds or so and power the router back up....wait a few minutes for all the lights on your router to come back on and then power on your problematic computer again...  When it boots up try connecting to the Internet

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »
                        Okay, did that and still not able to connect.

hot dog

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 10:34:36 PM »
                        Do you have any third party firewalls installed?     Any firewalls other than Windows Firewall?

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »
                          Just Windows Firewall and I've already disabled that.

hot dog

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 10:41:17 PM »
                          Click START>control panel>network connections

Right click on the network icon and click properties...........what do you see in the window?      What does it say in the "general" tab?    Does it show what network apapter you are connecting with, as well as "Client for microsoft networks" AND TCP/IP

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 10:45:09 PM »
                            Network Adaptor:
                            VIA Compatible Fast Ethernet Adaptor

And it says it uses the following:
                            Client For Microsoft Networks
                            File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
                            QoS Packet Scheduler
                            Internet Prtocol (TCP/IP)

hot dog

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 10:50:58 PM »
                            Can you ping the default gateway successfully?  open a command prompt, type:

ping 192.160.0.1

do you get a "reply" back or "time out"?

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
                              "Request timed out"

hot dog

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »
                              open a command prompt again and type: ping 127.0.0.1

what happens?

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »
                                Ping stats for 127.0.0.1:
                                Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% Loss)
                                Approximate round trip:
                                Minimum = 0, Maximum = 0, Average = 0

hot dog

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
                                OK, so the TCP/IP software is working fine...   If you had a loopback plug you could use that same ping command to the actual port of your NIC....

I'm running out of ideas here..  :P

Open a command prompt again and type:   

ipconfig /release

press enter

then type:

ipconfig /renew 

Is it able to give you a new IP address?

What address does it give you?

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 11:15:50 PM »
                                  Yea... I really appreciate you trying to help me though.

Tried the release/renew thing and it is unable to renew the IP because it couldnt contact the DHCP server and it timed out.

hot dog

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »
                                  Go over to one of your other good computers, open a command prompt and type: IPCONFIG   and tell me what the stats are...

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 11:27:55 PM »
                                    IP Address: 192.168.0.194
                                    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
                                    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

hot dog

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 11:37:13 PM »
                                    OK, now on your bad computer click START>control panel>network connections

highlight the TCP/IP setting and click on properties..

Click on the bubble that says: Use the following IP address

Use these stats:

IP Address:  192.168.0.100

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Next to where is says, "Preferred DNS server" type: 192.168.0.1

when you are done click OK and see if you can connect to the Internet with a browser

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 11:42:44 PM »
                                      No luck  :(

hot dog

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
                                      Are you able to ping the default gateway at this point?

ping 192.168.0.1

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 11:48:22 PM »
                                        No it times out.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
                                          I've been meaning to reformat and reinstall Windows onto my newer of two hard drives.  Do you think having a fresh install of Windows might help?  I want to do this anyway so it's not solely for the purpose of solving this issue.

hot dog

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 12:09:42 AM »
                                          Sure I don't see what it would hurt...

Maybe something in the registry got corrupted...  :P

If that does you no good, look for a NIC that installs into one of your PCI/express slots, because the only other thing I can think of is that your NIC went bad...

We gave you a valid IP address manually... We tested the TCP/IP software...We know the cable is good....we know the router is good and we even reset the router...
                                          The only thing left in between all that is the port on your NIC...... This isn't an expert opinion but you may have jarred the port when you kicked the power cable or caused some other type of damage.....If you had a loopback plug you could test the port and know without doubt that the port went bad, but with what we know about your system, the only thing I can think of is that the port on your nic went bad...

Have you considered a system restore.......   ?
                                          If that or reinstalling doesn't work, go an google for a new NIC that will fit into one of your PCI/express slots....    go for the highest throughput card possible   :)

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 09:47:27 AM »
                                            Tried the release/renew thing and it is unable to renew the IP because it couldnt contact the DHCP server and it timed out.

OK, the higher level functions will not operate if the network is not working at a lower level. You do not know if the lower level is working until you do those things I posted a day or so ago.

For example, what do those lights report both on computer and router?  Do you even see the NIC listed in the Device Manager?  What was listed in the system (event) logs?

Reloading an OS is a worst thing you could do for too many reasons to list including the long periods of reloading all the updates and better drivers for everything else.  Reloading an OS is the worst example of fixing something without first identifying the problem.  It typically creates numerous other problems.  However, if you are more interested in learning than in fixing the computer, well, I could think of few other actions that will force more  learning.

Even better than a 'nuke n pave' is Mulreay's  'remove and reload the driver' suggestion.

BTW, your problem is exactly why we buy better computers that come with the manufacturer’s comprehensive diagnostics.  See all those previous posts?  About half of them would be unnecessary why simply executing a comprehensive hardware diagnostic that only the better computer manufacturer’s provide.

I don’t see where anything says your network is working at the lowest level.  Working at the second level was supposed to confirm lowest level protocols are working.  If not, then your second level frustrations are explained.  Very first step – what do lights report at both ends of the cable?  Does Device Manager even see the NIC?  Maybe locate a hardware diagnostic for your NIC that comes from the NIC manufacturer (even some chip manufacturers provide that diagnostics).

Currently I see nothing that says your NIC is working even at the lowest level.  Only after we know that, then we can move on to why the NIC has failed.  But if you ‘nuke n pave’ then nothing useful is learned.  And you have reloading the hard drive using hardware (motherboard) that has at least one (and maybe more) defects.  IOW only made the problem exponentially more complex.  OS did not go bad.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »
                                              Yea Westom, the lights on the router appear as they should.  As for the rest of your suggestions, you're going to have to explain to me what I need to do more simply because I dont understand what you're saying I should do.  Thanks though and thank you blockHead for everything.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
                                                Yea Westom, the lights on the router appear as they should.  As for the rest of your suggestions, you're going to have to explain to me what I need to do ...
                                                  When you disconnect the cable, then the light extinguishes?  When you reconnect the cable, that light returns? That is for lights at both cable ends.  One typically exists adjacent to where an ethernet cable connects to computer to solve problems such as yours.

Device Manage and system (event) logs are Windows obtained from many locations including Control Panel or by using Windows HELP (press start then click on Help).  Every hardware device the computer sees is in Device Manger.  Any device that is defective is marked accordingly.  System logs list all problems a computer has seen so that you (or the tech) can address those problems days or weeks later.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »
                                                  The light on te router extinguishes as it should but there is no light at the connection where the cable plugs into the computer.  I don't thin there ever was a light there though.

Quantos

Guru
                                                  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                                                    • Yes
                                                    • Yes
                                                  • Computer: Specs
                                                  • Experience: Guru
                                                  « Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009, 10:46:19 PM »
                                                  Have you tried just unplugging everything and letting it reset?

Unplug the modem and router, turn off the pc's.
                                                  After about a minute plug the modem back in, then after the lights are lit on the modem plug in the router.
                                                  Then turn your computers back on.

It's common for a channel to lock up, that wouldn't necessarily affect the other computers.
                                                  Evil is an exact science.

hot dog

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009, 11:07:11 PM »
                                                  Have you tried just unplugging everything and letting it reset?

I had him do that a while back  :)

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2009, 11:09:59 PM »
                                                    After all it looks like the NIC on the motherboard is dead.  I'm going to be buying a new network card to solve the problem.  Thanks to everyone that replied here - I appreciate it!

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2009, 07:52:10 AM »
                                                      After all it looks like the NIC on the motherboard is dead. 
                                                      That means the NIC does not appear in Device Manager or is flagged as defective there. Or did you just give up?

Indicator lighting and extinguishing with cable connect and disconnect says some NIC functions are working.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
                                                        It shows up in the device manager without any problems but there is no light at the connection at the back of the computer.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »
                                                          The computer also knows when the network cable is connected or not... just can't connect to the internet.  It can't obtain an IP address and it says thee is limited to no connection.

Ireland914

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 12:20:19 AM »
                                                            I borrowed a PCI network card from a friend and it works fine.  Problem solved!

hot dog

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 02:27:35 AM »
                                                            I borrowed a PCI network card from a friend and it works fine.  Problem solved!

cool.....Just ask him if you can borrow it for a while...maybe he'll forget about it  ::)