Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE8  (Read 3784 times)

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

IE8
    « on: October 02, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »
    i had IE7 until one day there was a bunch of windows updates for me to download.........and IE8 was one of those updates.   i mostly play games (pogo etc.) and find that frequently the game sites do not recognize that i'm online.  pogo has suggested that i install firefox to make the games run better but i'm nervous about changing the email programs and everything.   i have cable modem.   anyway,  if i delete IE8,  will i still have IE7??   was IE8 just a bunch of add-ons to IE7??               i have windows XP home and SP3        thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: IE8
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »
    If you uninstall IE8 you will still have IE7

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 04:26:03 PM »
      thank you Allan

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »
      Sure

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 12:10:15 AM »
        allan.....i went to control panel and was about to delete IE8 when a window popped up to show me a rather long list of programs, games, hotfixes . and updates that have been installed after  IE8 was installed.   they noted that any of those things might not make it through the uninstall of "8".   
         is running IE7 a stupid idea...concidering all the hassles of dumping "8"??   should i just shuffle along with IE8  and quit looking for trouble ??    maybe there are some upgrades for ie8 that will convince these game folks that i really am online..

and pogo wants me to turn off the clock in the sys tray or be ejected from the gin game where the turns are timed.   how do i do that??

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 04:46:07 AM »
        I don't see any reason not to uninstall IE8 - I can't think of what would not work if you do. BUT - if I were you I'd just leave IE8 alone and install Firefox as a second browser. Most people do that. There is certainly nothing to be nervous about - you are not "changing" anything, just adding an additional browser which you can use instead of - or with - IE8 any time you like. Personally I have multiple browsers on most of my systems (IE8, Firefox, Opera, Safari).

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
          do you have 4 javas installed or do all your browsers work with the same one??   i had some difficulty after installing "8"  and was told by a tech that the latest version of java (update 16)was not going to work well in my set-up and that i needed to delete "16" and put update 13 back in.  i did that and the problem(i forget what it was now) went away.    will it be possible to have the update 16 java installed with firefox..... and keep update 13 installed with IE8??
              dang....now all this is sounding wwwaaaaayyyyyy more complicated than i can manage.   please say that the java i HAVE is enough.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
          Don't worry about java. Just download and install Firefox.

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »
            thank you.   i'll leave you alone now.   sorry for being such a pain

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 01:26:46 PM »
            You're not a pain, but you are a worrier. No need to take something simple and make it complicated. I promise you'll be happy if you download and install Firefox ;)

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 01:34:17 PM »
            You're not a pain, but you are a worrier. No need to take something simple and make it complicated. I promise you'll be happy if you download and install Firefox ;)

And i'll back him up on this as well...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »
              thanks again from a nervous old lady     CHARGE !!!!!!!! ;D

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »
              You're welcome Barb.