Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp pro/ram  (Read 2942 times)

General218

Topic Starter

Starter

xp pro/ram
    « on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:31 AM »
    I have two computers, both Dells, one is a hyper-threader the other is a quad workstation.
    I've upgraded the ram in both, (for the hyper threader from 1.25 gbs to 2.0 gbs.
    On the workstation from 2.5 gbs to 3.0.
    Both are now operatiing a bit slower, is there a reason for this?
    I know they aren't at max, but does it reach a point where more ram is not necessary?

Jim Simpson

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: xp pro/ram
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:51:58 AM »
    You already had fairly high amounts of RAM for Win XP, especially in the workstation. Why did you think you needed more?

To answer your questions, I think we need more info.  What type and speed of RAM was in the two computers before the upgrade?  What type of speed of RAM is the new RAM?  Did you combine the older RAM with the new, or completely replace the older RAM? 

Exactly what models are those Dell computers?  Do you know whether your Win XP in each is 32 bit or 64 bit versions of Windows?  Where did you get the memory? 

General218

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:54:52 AM »
      it is ddr ram, I purches it at a store using a stick of old ram as a constant.
      on the hyper, I had a stick of one gig and one of 256mb, and it worked fine
      I have replaced the 256 with a stick of 1 gig, which seems to be slower.
      on the workstation, I had two gigs of 1 ram and 2 of 256mbs. the workstation has four slots but they must be paired.
      it's slower as well

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »
      There are many many types of DDR RAM...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "