Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop doesnt recognise when connected by ethernet cable  (Read 2661 times)

emtburks1971

laptop doesnt recognise when connected by ethernet cable
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:05:42 PM »
wi-fi works but not my reg connection....

ask for me to set up a connection...? should pick it up auto right?

ms vista home sp1
amd athlon 64x2 dc processor tk-53
1.0 gb ram, ati radeon xpress series
dell 1501

Lucky

Starter
    Re: laptop doesnt recognise when connected by ethernet cable
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:13:18 PM »
    Make sure your drivers are up to date on the NIC, also you might want to update Vista to SP2...
    Another is to make sure you dont have the Static IP and Config muffed up on the connection...
    Let me know if you need some more help

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »
    Search for network and sharing centre then go into manage wireless connections. If your router is not there click on Add and add said router.

Lucky

Starter
      « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »
      OK to be more specific go to CONTROL PANEL  then to NETWOK AND SHARING CENTER then to NETWORK CONNECTIONS. FIRST!!!!!!!! Make sure the device in enabled (right click on the ethernet connection then  click ENABLE if it is not an option then move on).  At this point you should see your two connections, one being Ethernet and one being wireless. open the ethernet one... click once on the Internet Protocol 4 and then click on properties. Make sure the "obtain IP automaticlay" is checked. (this is assuming you use DHCP on your router or let the router set its self up i.e. using the CD it comes with) then save or click apply/ ok.

If it still doesn't work then try to update your NIC card soooo.....
      Do the same as above BUT DONT click on the Internet Protocol 4 just click the Configure button,
      then click on the driver tab then update driver... (you will need to connect to the internet for this so your your wireless) then click search automatically.... and who-la one of these two should fix your problem IF NOT THEN you can leave a post here or leave a message for me and I will help you out further.