Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP product key  (Read 2354 times)

V_S

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Windows XP product key
    « on: August 04, 2009, 11:04:45 PM »
    I hope this hasnt been answered before, I had a bit of a look through...

My boyfriends got me looking at his computer for him, he had it fixed a month ago after frying his power supply and has been getting a message to activate his windows since then - he hasnt done this, and when I went to go onto it today, its been locked out.

I cant find on his pc tower anywhere the microsoft sticker with the product key, and I cant find his disk anywhere, I had hoped that the coded from my laptop might work but it doesnt... Without being able to get into his system tool and find the product code in there (cos Im locked out of windows and can only get to the 'activate windows' screen), is there any other way I can find the product key without having to call microsoft and pay for it?

Thanks...

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Windows XP product key
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:12:49 PM »
    Seeing that you can't get into windows, try out what this link says, supposedly you can retrieve the xp key from the ntuser.dat file .... so give that a shot first and let us know how it goes
    « Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:33:08 PM by 2x3i5x »

V_S

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »
      2x315x,

Had a look at the site you posted, but it says I harve to take out the hard drive and connect it to a working machine... only problem being I have absolutely no idea how to do that!! I can generally make a computer do what I want it to, and can fix basic stuff, but they pulling it apart bit is a little over my head - plus hed kill me if I somehow broke it!

Thanks so much for your reply though... (it was very helpful)

V_S

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 12:21:19 AM »
        Hey again - i managed to find two programs online that both searched for my product key and came up with the same key... only problem being that when i tried to activate it, it says its an invalid key - so back to the drawing board...

2x3i5x

Expert
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:26:19 AM »
        what program were you trying?

Just wondering two things...

1. You did try contacting Microsoft and they did give you a solution but that wasn't free?

2. what kind of computer does your boyfriend use? I'd like to know the manufacturer and the model. You could connect the desktop's hard drive to your laptio (which is a working computer) but you'd need to buy an adapter or a hard drive external enclosure case that gives you the right ports to connect your laptop to the desktop hard drive.

I know that you wanted a free solution to your problem, but the solution that I know of off my head (which I am pretty sure should work isn't completely free)

V_S

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 12:54:18 AM »
          Hi,

I havent contacted Microsoft yet, no, because I dont really have any information to give them.. I cant find his original windows cd or any from of proof of purchase, and I dont really wanna be buying a new key if i can get away with it.

He uses a Compaq Evo D500 - I pulled up a profile of the entire computer which is how I know that! Im really not comfortable playing with the hard drive and that, i really dont have the experience for stuff like that.

I used two programs, magicaljellybean and Belarc - both of which gave me the same product key which is apparently invalid. Was talking to somone on the chat just before who was really helpful - it seems as though the tech has reinstalled windows when he repaired the computer (this only started asking for activation when we picked it up from repair)

any input is greatly appreciated...

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 01:06:45 AM »
          Contact the Tech...he's responsible.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

V_S

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:09:32 AM »
            Thanks Patio, thats my next idea, im thinking ill go in and see them tomorrow - if they have reinstalled windows, they didnt need to surely, not just to replace the power supply...