Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How much security do I need?  (Read 13513 times)

Bobh

Re: How much security do I need?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
To all who gave suggestions -
Thanks to everybody.  I had no idea that the first post would get out of hand.  I do appreciate your effort but I think I will just stay with Windows Firewall.  I realize that it is not the best but my requirements are not what an expert would need.  Patio"s suggestion of "PrivateFirewall" was noted but when I called it up it seemed too complicated for me to use.  Thanks again.   Bob

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 03:30:49 PM »
PrivateFirewall...
It meets your requirements of being FREE and running on a 64Bit OS...

NOTE: I have not tested this yet...it's on the To Do List.
I know you are running a 64 bit os
What firewall are you using?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »
None...hardware only.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »
Oh ok.  Ill try the one linked then.  But of course, I do have 2 old computers lieing around that arnt of any use.... *googles

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 04:45:17 PM »
I haven't read this whole thread, just this page - so if this response is out of line or context I apologize. But since 1985 I've never used a firewall on any system - only the router (NAT). I do, of course, use a good AV on all systems (Kaspersky). Never even almost had any problems.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 07:41:13 PM »
I haven't read this whole thread, just this page - so if this response is out of line or context I apologize. But since 1985 I've never used a firewall on any system - only the router (NAT). I do, of course, use a good AV on all systems (Kaspersky). Never even almost had any problems.

Same here, never really bothered with any security programs, except anti-malware (malwarebytes and what-not).. I installed a AV after a nasty virut infection, but have since reformatted/reinstalled (as in, since the initial reformat/reinstall from the infection), and simply haven't installed one.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 05:46:56 AM »
Well, sorry BC Programmer but I can't endorse your choice to not use an AV. It's your system so it's your decision, but I could not disagree more strongly with anyone choosing not to use a GOOD Anti-Virus Program. Even in your case you said you were hit with a "nasty virus infection" (actually you said "virut", but I assume you meant virus ;) ).

I've been on support forums for a long time and these threads pop up now and then where people say "I've never used an AV and never had a problem". First of all, I find it very hard to believe they've never had a problem unless they don't have an internet connection. But second, many new or technically inexperienced users read these threads and think it's okay to run a system without an AV. IT IS NOT okay. In the long run (or even not so long) you are asking for trouble.

Firewalls are another story. Hacking - despite all the anecdotal stories - is very rarely a problem for individual users. But a hardware firewall (as is built in to most routers) is still enough of a deterrent for most of us. And since many users have routers these days.... well, you understand. But an anti-virus utility (a GOOD one - always with the most current definitions) is a MUST.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 06:19:29 AM »
first:
many new or technically inexperienced users read these threads and think it's okay to run a system without an AV. IT IS NOT okay. In the long run (or even not so long) you are asking for trouble.
I couldn't agree more. Unless you know what you are doing or feel confident that you can mop up any possible messes, people should use an Anti-virus, plain and simple.

aside from a single case of Virut, and yes, that is the proper spelling- I had no problems running without an active AV for the past 7 years.

Of course I did get the occasional infection, but as long as it's not a File infector (like virut/Sality) then for me it's a quick run of process explorer to suspend the tasks involved (all of them at once, since they generally "look out" for one another, if one get's killed it respawns it etc), then terminate them one by one, and delete the registry entries.

If that doesn't work then I just write down the names of the infectious files and reboot into recovery console and delete them.

The only reason this didn't work for virut was because it infected all my executables that I touched, which includes all the windows system dlls and executables. so I reformatted my system drive, reinstalled XP and then did a del /s *.ocx *.dll *.exe on my data drive.

problem solved

Now, of course, if I had an "active" AV I might have been able to stop the initial infection- And I won't contest that- but at what cost?

I'm sick and tired of "having" to run a million bloody programs in the background. In fact it is because I keep my process list trim that allows me to know almost instantly that I'm infected- and in 90% of cases, MBAM removes it all.

"how can you be sure?" you ask?

I know what keys to check. I know all the standard infection vectors. I don't need a program to say "your clean" I can do the same thing myself. most of the time I can just run PossumFix to get rid of the simple infections- but infections are so few and far between it's hardly worth the effort.

The key here- the virus HAS to get ONTO the PC somehow. the only way is through downloaded programs, or if I was to run IE....

if I was using IE, I definitely would not be running without a AV, otherwise I'd be infected quite a lot more often then I am now, browsing should not be something that can EVER do anything without consent. However, apparently when MS added ActiveX technology to IE3 they kind of forgot the fact that it's a Executable Binary that can do anything it wants... and it took, three versions for it to be disabled by default.

the main problem I have with AV software is the maintenance cost. Updates. definitions. All of this has to be kept up to date. Why? Because AV software is just a glorified blacklist. Not only do blacklists not work but there is the whole "in your face" attitude that AV companies seem to have. "hey, I just installed an update" I don't care. I shouldn't be notified when there is an update to a program that is essentially designed to stay up to date. Windows- yes, it get's away with it, since updates may contain driver software and other essentials that are core to the functionality of the PC. but the AV program shouldn't basically pop up and say it did what it was supposed to. Now if it was unable to update, that would be an acceptable popup.

And let's not get started about the "changes" in recent iterations of AV software. Slow, slovenly performance bogged down by fancy graphics and flashy update screens. All of this in addition to their decision to not only show the aforementioned "update" notifications, but just in case I'm not looking, some of them will TELL me about it too. because apparently they are spending more time creating flashy graphics and sound then on making a heuristic analysis system that actually works.

I shouldn't be notified when something is working. I should be notified when it isn't. take the network connection as a prime example. unplug it- windows notifies you about it. Does it notify you through-out the day that the network connection is working? No, because it's not useful information- it's the way is should be. the day software has to notify the user that things are working as they are supposed to be is the day that they're apparently not supposed to be working- because it's not noteworthy otherwise. It's almost as if the PC itself would be amazed, "hey- this amazing- your network connection is STILL up!"

other posts:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000929.html

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000803.html

to revisit though-
"I've never used an AV and never had a problem". First of all, I find it very hard to believe they've never had a problem unless they don't have an internet connection

This depends wholly on the definition of the word "problem", In my eyes- my approximately once every 5 months or so removal of some basic badly written and woefully inadequate piece of malware wasn't a problem. heck it wasn't even a challenge. Worst case scenario I lose a couple minutes or so rebooting into recovery console and deleting the affected files. (and restoring the originals if they were System files) and then taking a gander at the RUN and winlogon/Notify keys to delete the now missing references.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 06:24:19 AM »
As I said, it's your system and obviously you are entitled to do (or not do) whatever you like with it. I just don't want others reading this thread to get the idea that if they don't use an AV utility they won't have any problems. They will.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 06:24:58 AM »
As I said, it's your system and obviously you are entitled to do (or not do) whatever you like with it. I just don't want others reading this thread to get the idea that if they don't use an AV utility they won't have any problems. They will.

agreed. 

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 09:28:18 AM »
Your an admin of a Windows forum, and you haven't heard of Virut?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 09:30:41 AM »
I have two security experts on the forum who handle those issues. I never claimed to be a security guru. But thanks for jumping in.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »
But thanks for jumping in.
No problem. ;D
Sorry for being a bit sarcastic...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 02:34:03 PM »
Best to hold your tongue next time....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
Im using that one suggested by patio and it seems to be working ok...