Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer boots to a black screen  (Read 10547 times)

rockhopper21

computer boots to a black screen
« on: June 02, 2005, 05:39:38 PM »
3 year old Celeron,windows 2000, start computer, and it starts, but it won't turn on the monitor, when it does turn on monitor,go to BIOS, but will usually freeze up in BIOS.  Please help!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer boots to a black screen
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 06:18:34 PM »
Do you have virus protection? Any rescue disks made?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

rockhopper21

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 06:25:27 PM »
I have Norton Utilities 2005 installed.  No rescue disks-I can't even get into BIOS to select boot up from cd-rom.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 05:39:39 AM »
Reset your CMOS.

Either through shortcircuiting the CMOS jumper

or

Through removing the CMOS battery for approximately 10 - 15 seconds.

To see where the CMOS battery and/or jumper are located, refer to the mainboard guide.

Also see this article before attempting to reset CMOS.

rockhopper21

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 03:47:33 PM »
I removed the cmos battery,started machine,shut down,put battery back in-no change.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 12:22:56 PM »
load  norton cd disk..........run windoc.......win disk.....try taking the ramsticks out.......and then reset them..* if no change do the same with an graphics card etc.***.caution is needed when play about in side the case*** <ESD>***....any beeps on boot up........

rockhopper21

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 03:05:18 PM »
I will start pulling ram and hardware and reinserting them, as far as loading any software, no go, can't even get to bios or anything, and there is a steady beep when turned on.

rockhopper21

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 03:06:02 PM »
ALSO, I am running an ASUS TUV4X motherboard.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 03:10:40 PM »
I removed the cmos battery,started machine,shut down,put battery back in-no change.

Booting your system with either the CMOS battery removed or the jumper set to clear CMOS data may damage your system. It is inadviseable to do so.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 03:18:28 PM »
is your pc one of these>>http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm
have you added any new hardware to your system......do you know the make of your hard drive....

rockhopper21

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 04:36:10 PM »
I have a 120G Harddrive by Maxtor, the beeps are one lasting 2 seconds,over and over again, so far I have counted 78, and it is still going.

rockhopper21

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 04:37:08 PM »
Oh, no new hardware, just started beeping one day.  Also have Award BIOS

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 04:39:15 PM »
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 04:44:34 PM by merlin_2 »

rockhopper21

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 04:51:56 PM »
can't download anything on the broken computer, do you mean to download on my good computer?  other comp is not functioning.

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 04:51:57 PM »
do you happen to have the mobo boot fdisk lying around.....if so load it......every thing .in the case is working.....fans/hardrive/fd/cdrom drives.....yes.../no!for example>>http://www.recoverybios.com/     \/

download the msblast program to a fdsik...on the pc you are using to post here......but my guess is a corupted bios...^
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 04:55:49 PM by merlin_2 »

rockhopper21

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 05:04:25 PM »
I have inserted the mobo disk into the broken comp's cd-rom, but still just beeps and won't turn on monitor(monitor is good)

merlin_2

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 05:08:52 PM »
do you have an old hard drive......hook it up....try this>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

backtracking......so you came home ......switched on the pc.....and got a black screen....was it left on hibenate...i would strip it down to the barebones......check the psu is ok....if  suspect  renew it.......go for the cheap parts first....clean all the dust /dirt...../take out/.reseat any video cards/modem cards........and test making sure the keyboard is pluged in............now there is another thought.....are the keys sticking..rebuild it.....http://www.buildyourowncomputer.net/learntobuild.html    its it a hardware fault///or bios coruption...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 05:22:29 PM by merlin_2 »

rockhopper21

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 05:35:34 PM »
I will follow your advise by tearing it down and cleaning and stuff.  Right now, it is really pissing me off, so I will try later.  Thanks so much for your help, but I have a feeling that it lies within the hardware and maybe its time to put in a new mobo,memory,etc.  Cheers.  Rob.

Gustaaf

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 04:43:11 AM »
The beep codes are the most important info here.

Count them and report them here. It could be that the memmory is dead or CPU and other things. but the amount of BEEPS is the message the motherboard/bios is trying to tell you what is wrong.