Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why am I using Vista?  (Read 23871 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Why am I using Vista?
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
Just had a passing thought of why in the <censored> am I using this god awful OS? Let me just go though pros and cons:

Pro:
1. DirectX 10
2. Better file management (files become less fragmented)

Con:
1. Higher resource demands
2. Increased User optimisation (now even harder to find anything)
3. "revised & optimised" Document layout
4. Networking designed to be more difficult than Win98
5. Reduced Stability
6. "Improved" start menu (now harder to use than ever before)
7. non functional system defrag
8. Renamed system files (Add Remove Programs - Programs and Features)
9. Reduced backwards compatibility
10. Emulated DirectX 9 crashes
11. 2 or 3 times OS size (compared to XP)
12. Stupid aero themes (ooo I can see through my windows wooww)
13. IE 8 (increased exploitability)
14. Decreased user streamlining (browsing function now even harder (loss of window tabs))

Now typing that list has just made me relies that I 'tolerate' Vista. Please correct me by the way in case I missed anything. Is Windows 7 my salvation?

Why is the biblical word for the place for damned souls <censored>?

hot dog

Re: Why am I using Vista?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:48:31 PM »
Believe it or not, there are some advantages to using Vista, more than what you stated... but like everything it does have cons as well.

Other than the Pro's you listed (with the exception of better file management, which is a very general term), Vista includes Bit Locker, which enables you to encrypt your entire hard drive, as opposed to only being able to encrypt certain folders.  Only thing is, you'll need to buy either Ultimate or Enterprise edition to get it...

Vista also has the auto. search feature located in the Start menu..which is in all versions of Vista.

Parental controls, built into Vista...

Shadow copy, where Vista makes periodic backups of system files.. If you overwrite a file and don't have a backup copy of that file, you can right click on the existing file and select "restore previous versions", to get the old file back..

If you like aesthetics, Vista's got the Aero glass..  provided you've got the hardware capabilities to use it...........although it does put a toll on your battery life, for laptop users..

Vista has a double-sided firewall........XP has only a single sided..

All version of Vista include NTFS permissions, where on XP, only the the "professional" edition includes ntfs permissions

for starters, those are some more advantages...

smeezekitty

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
i hate most of those features and disable them
i kind of like the start menu search though

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »
i hate most of those features and disable them
i kind of like the start menu search though

Apparently, Windows Defender is another advantage, but I keep it disabled because I find it virtually useless...    Even when I've got it set to inform me when/if it finds something, I never hear a peep out of it...  ;)   Not to mention, that I've never once found any spyware with it running manual scans

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »
2. Better file management (files become less fragmented)

I'd like to know what this means...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »
Almost as if it was a new version of windows... strange!

have no idea what this means. I rather like the new Search feature... running cmd as admin has become a few quick keystrokes. Windows key, "cmd" Application key, down arrow, enter. Additionally I've always opened explorer windows directly with the run dialog (as in, Windows key+R, "explorer D:\vbproj\vb\bcfile\bcsearch" or whatnot), and that still works with Vista.

3. "revised & optimised" Document layout
this sounds more like it's referring to Office 2007. That's not a Vista Feature.

Umm... ok.... I had my vista laptop networked with my old PC and it had NT 3.51 installed... It's rather easy to use, IMO. At least now there is a progress bar for network.
5. Reduced Stability

complete and utter lie. my laptop has now been on for over a month without a reboot, and no problems. my older XP machine, while fairly reliable, seems to encounter video issues after about a week or so. Obviously the claim will be to "blame the display driver"... why blame other stuff in XP but the OS in Vista?

OMG! It's different! Same tired old argument from XP's introduction. Point made even more blunt by the fact that this "improved" start menu can be reverted to classic just as XP's before it. But of course the XP start menu didn't get criticized at all! don't be ridiculous!
7. non functional system defrag
works fine here.

this is a con? please, your grabbing at straws here. Why no gripes about how XP changed the name of "network neighborhood"? Oh of course. that's XP.
personally I think this is a plus. programs that don't work because of this are simply badly programmed. Blame the developers, not the OS that decided that enforcing a rule that is explicitly stated in the API documentation was a good idea.

I'm starting to think your PC is having problems... not Vista...
compare XP (around 1.5 GB) to Windows 98, or Windows 95. same relationship. same tired old argument. same lack of any real point.
yes, the "fisher-price" luna theme was SOOOO much better. Of course it was. XP can do no wrong just as Windows 98 could do no wrong before it.
True... but I'm trying to figure out what this has to do with vista. IE8 will install on XP too. Does that make it a con for XP? of course not. It's XP.
14. Decreased user streamlining (browsing function now even harder (loss of window tabs))
haven't a clue what you mean here.

In summary, your really just echoing the exact same things windows 98 users griped about XP. OMG... look at that awful blue taskbar. Of course just as you have conveniently forgotten that Aero is easily disabled so too did they not realize that the windows Classic theme is easy to get to.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:29:07 PM »
Nicely Done...and thorough.

8)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
I'll admit I was premature in some of my early posts before I had even used Vista...

Reading about it definitely made it seem Evil... but using it was altogether different. Of course in my case my hardware was actually reliable so I didn't get "Dx9 emulated crashes"... although I'm pretty sure that the crashes were real, rather then emulated.

In either case... DX9 isn't "emulated" on Vista. That's why you literally need to install DX 9.0c for a DX 9 or earlier program to run.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
Well the point you made months and months ago about Vista bashers rings true every time i hear this sad old tale...
I believe you stated those that hate Vista used it less than a month and walked away...

I'm impressed a laptop has not been re-booted in a month though...impressive at the least.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 09:48:08 PM »
It's been folding the whole time. Sometimes I forget it's there... or On...

I've been using it less since the new build; so I'm not shutting off F&H at all. So I'm not folding on this machine yet, but It has indirectly increased my contribution.

And like I say- it wasn't just with Vista- The same "types" appeared with every new windows Release. If memory serves the windows 95 explorer was a complete memory hog. requiring such a vast amount of memory! (8MB) I mean, sure, it basically brought the whole concept of the "right-click" to the forefront and really paved the way for the various shell enhancements in future OS versions, but I mean- c'mon- 8MB of RAM? if I may quote from an ancient article from near windows 95's release:

"If the world is going to become one were an OS requires 8MB of RAM... I don't want to live in that world"

any guesses as to wether that person fulfilled their promise and committed suicide when 95 was released?  ;D

And of course, I was no better then they were.  I wasn't quite so vocal because I had a nagging feeling that, hmm, maybe I should try it before saying it blows...

In this instance Accessless is however using Vista, and it appears that many of the issues they are having are either easily resolvable (don't use aero, use the classic start menu) related to completely different programs (Office 2007 document layout) or probably related to driver/hardware issues (DX9 crashes).

The "compatibility" point really hits the spot though- in one of my recent posts I described in detail the particulars of how much work MS goes to- even in Vista- to get old, crappy, badly written programs to work properly. All in the name of the consumer. Some may say that the original developer should do this work- but why? They have the consumers money. On the other hand, if MS was to NOT add these compatibility fixes, then it's the New OS to blame for "breaking" the program/game, when in fact it was broken to begin with and the older API architecture was a little more lenient.

A prime example being one of my very own programs, which inexplicibly crashed in Vista. I finally traced the problem to one function call that, after reading the documentation, I had been calling wrong all along. But of course I am supposed to blame Vista.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 05:16:21 AM »
Almost as if it was a new version of windows... strange!
I’m sure that resource demands could be reduced with the removal of useless features and functions
I have no idea what this means. I rather like the new Search feature... running cmd as admin has become a few quick keystrokes. Windows key, "cmd" Application key, down arrow, enter. Additionally I've always opened explorer windows directly with the run dialog (as in, Windows key+R, "explorer D:\vbproj\vb\bcfile\bcsearch" or whatnot), and that still works with Vista.
Yes run has always been in every Windows, but now you have to add it manually to the start bar. Increased User Optimisation, I will admit is a general moan about the reorganisation of Windows’ file system. Good for you, memorising all those file names and locations.
3. "Revised & Optimised" Document layout
This sounds more like it's referring to Office 2007. That's not a Vista Feature.
Office 2007 is the illegitimate offspring of OS10 and Vista, raised by the evil hand of Microsoft customer support team. It’s goal in life to ruin decades of IT MS Office training around the world. But I digress, back to Vista... I’m referring to the User’s personal file layout, apparently all my pictures, videos & music are not my documents and should come under such a folder.
Umm... ok.... I had my vista laptop networked with my old PC and it had NT 3.51 installed... It's rather easy to use, IMO. At least now there is a progress bar for network.
I have a laptop on Vista and a computer on Vista. Can I access files between them? No. Never have and have given up trying. I am being totally serious when I say that I have had an easier time networking ME to XP. Oh and don’t get me started on the useless Vista loading bars that are about as accurate as the Windows 98 file transfer percentage bars. All they do is provide morons with a pretty green bar to look at and assume that their computer is doing something. (See reply to point “1.” about useless wastes of resources).
5. Reduced Stability
A complete and utter lie, my laptop has now been on for over a month without a reboot, and no problems. My older XP machine, while fairly reliable, seems to encounter video issues after about a week or so. Obviously the claim will be to "blame the display driver"... why blame other stuff in XP but the OS in Vista?
I never had the issue of reduced performance until a reboot is performed before (usually after programs lock up and I can’t get stuff done). I’m loving the fact that program processes get stuck on and cannot be disabled. (I had this in XP as well but this is a Vista gripe not an XP gripe) XD. I agree with Patio on this you deserve a medal for that laptop.
OMG! It's different! Same tired old argument from XP's introduction. Point made even blunter by the fact that this "improved" start menu can be reverted to classic just as XP's before it. But of course the XP start menu didn't get criticized at all! Don’t be ridiculous!
I actually like everything about the XP start menu, although I will admit initial complaints. I also like the Vista start menu layout... until I go into programs and oh no! Microsoft has removed the flowing folders. Now folders have to be clicked on and the contents drop down filling your menu even more. Yes I have to revert to the ‘Classic’ start menu, I would rather have the Vista one IF it was practically functional.
7. Non functional system defrag
Works fine here.
I should really thank Vista for this actually because if it’s defrag worked then I would never have discovered IO Bit Smart Defrag. (Download it, it’s good): http://www.iobit.com/
This is a con? Please, you’re grabbing at straws here. Why no gripes about how XP changed the name of "network neighbourhood"? Oh of course, that's XP.
I would like to make a point here of when did I proclaim my love of XP? Probably because the name change was minor and un noticeable, that and I don’t have XP anymore. How many hours of your life have you spent looking for a file or program because Microsoft renamed it?
Personally I think this is a plus. Programs that don't work because of this are simply badly programmed. Blame the developers, not the OS that decided that enforcing a rule that is explicitly stated in the API documentation was a good idea.
So your saying that programs developed before Vista are badly programmed because the developers could not see into the future and predict the alterations to the API documentation that Microsoft were going to make?
I'm starting to think your PC is having problems... not Vista...
No, asides Vista being rubbish it works fine (never crashes on Linux). I’m not the only one that has problems with DirectX on Vista. C&C3 has problems with it and that’s a fairly new game.
Compare XP (around 1.5 GB) to Windows 98, or Windows 95. Same relationship, same tired old argument, same lack of any real point.
Windows 95 – 350Mb (0.35Gb), Windows 98 – 500Mb (0.5Gb), Windows ME- 700Mb (0.7Gb), Windows XP – 1500Mb (1.5Gb), Windows Vista – 15000Mb (15Gb). So that’s:
Windows Vista – 15000Mb
Win95 – Win98 ~50% increase
Win98 – Win ME ~40% increase
Win ME – Win XP ~100% increase
Win XP – Vista ~ 1000% increase
Oh my god! I didn’t even know that it was that bad! I’m shocked. Windows XP and Vista figures taken from: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sysreqs/pro.mspx & http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/system-requirements.aspx respectively. Previous Windows versions from personal experience.
Yes, the "fisher-price" Luna theme was SOOOO much better. Of course it was. XP can do no wrong just as Windows 98 could do no wrong before it.

Windows 98 was alright, limited but alright. You might as well say that propeller planes could do no wrong until jets were invented. XP was bad then they fixed it (SP2). Vista is bad then they invented Windows 7. Is Windows 7 the fix to Vista?
True... but I'm trying to figure out what this has to do with Vista. IE8 will install on XP too. Does that make it a con for XP? Of course not. It's XP.
Microsoft allowed something new on an older version of Windows? Incredible! I thought they only let the new stuff loose on the newest versions to force people to upgrade. For the millionth time I do not want XP’s babies!
Haven't a clue what you mean here.
Remember those lovely tabs you use to get in settings windows, like for example when you used to right click your desktop and click properties? You used to get a window with the tabs: Background, Appearance, Screen saver, etc.
In summary, you’re really just echoing the exact same things windows 98 users griped about XP. OMG... look at that awful blue taskbar. Of course just as you have conveniently forgotten that Aero is easily disabled so too did they not realize that the windows Classic theme is easy to get to.
To repeat myself, I like the task bar (although I did gripe about the XP one at first) just not the functionality of the menus. I’ll give you the fact that I could turn the themes off and not complain about them wasting resources.

hot dog

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 05:20:12 AM »
oh dear,... this is gonna get nasty... ::)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 05:52:54 AM »
Nah probably just very long.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 06:48:36 AM »
oh dear,... this is gonna get nasty... ::)

Don't know why you would think that...they've been nothing but thorough...

hot dog

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 06:59:52 AM »
Don't know why you would think that...they've been nothing but thorough...

just having a little fun....