Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dial up testing  (Read 2094 times)

hot dog

dial up testing
« on: August 14, 2009, 01:42:58 AM »
I'm trying to figure out if the telephone lines around this house support 56k dial up connection speeds...

I just tried dialing the 3Com Line Test here:

http://www.modemsite.com/56K/3comline.asp

The problem is that the modems for this test are located in Illinois (USA) and the phone account that this computer uses does have have long distance dialing rights..

Is there a website anywhere that gives a list different modems available for this type of test, with there locations?

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: dial up testing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
Where are you located, perhaps we can find one.
Evil is an exact science.

hot dog

Re: dial up testing
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 07:54:26 PM »
Well, the computer that I'm testing from is located in Elderwood, California....Approximately 5 miles from Woodlake.

As I said, it's got a dial up connection (V.90 modem and service) and I'm trying to test the lines to see if they support 56k speeds...  I'm pretty sure I'm dialing a number that supports 56k speeds.... The only other thing I can think to check are the phone lines.......The computer is only getting 28.8 Kbps download speeds... If I can confirm that the lines around the house support 56k, I think I can get the download speed to jump up a little higher by checking some other stuff..  ;)