Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Office Product Key registration problem  (Read 2885 times)

Gray Badger

Topic Starter

Rookie

MS Office Product Key registration problem
    « on: August 15, 2009, 03:29:27 PM »
    Purchased new CompUSA HP Vista x32 Home Premium laptop for daughter's college.  Installing university-issued 'Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007', 'September 2007', 'Applications Student Media' DVD, w/ Product Key on back of plastic sleeve.

Keep getting prompted after installation to enter Product Key, but won't accept what's on back of sleeve(!?).  Tried x3.  You get 25 uses of Office without registration before lessened functionality suppossedly happens.

There's probably an MS Office Forum online from MS, but I don't see it.  A few weird things about  install:
    1) Remarkably fast.  I called CompUSA afterwards to make sure laptop didn't come w/ Office already- they assured it didn't.
    2) During actual install, no reference to Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or Access.  But, there was referral to 'Microsoft Office Communicator 2007', which is also in parentheses under 'MS Office 7007 Enterprise 2007' title.
    3) There's a 2nd, very similar disc that we received upon purchasing Office.  Labeled very similarly, but has no Product Key, it's sub-titled 'Product Key Required', & is 'April 2007' instead of Sept.  Since the other disc had a Product Key, I installed it.

I installed the wrong disc?  I need to install both?  Go ask Microsoft?  If so, anybody got a good phone number or URL or email address? 

Please.  Thanks.  This forum has been great. 

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: MS Office Product Key registration problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:32:24 PM »
    The first thing that I would suggest is phoning HP.  They've got a really decent support system.
    Evil is an exact science.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »
      I don't know if this has any bearing (suspect not) but a small Canadian software company just recently won a copyright infringement case against MS on their office 2003 and 2007 suites. Part of the penalty against MS was to cease and desist selling either suites in NA plus a 290 million dollar award to be paid to the other software firm. MS has indicated an appeal but they had already lost the same case in a lower court. truenorth

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 04:35:15 PM »
      Either way, give HP a call, they have to give you what you paid for.
      Evil is an exact science.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »
      I'm a Microsoft Partner and am not familiar with that release of Office, but if it's University issued I'd check with the University.