Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse Cursor Help (Win98SE)  (Read 12658 times)

Cricket_Lover

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Guru
    Re: Mouse Cursor Help (Win98SE)
    « Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 10:12:56 PM »
    C:\windows\system32

Volume in drive C is **********
     Volume Serial Number is ****-****
     Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

.              <DIR>        03-02-01  6:59p .
    ..             <DIR>        03-02-01  6:59p ..
    ADOBE          <DIR>        07-24-01  7:37p Adobe
    DRIVERS        <DIR>        03-02-01  7:01p DRIVERS
    ADVAPI32 DLL       616,960  08-04-04 12:00p ADVAPI32.DLL
    MSSWCH   DLL        13,312  08-04-04 12:00p MSSWCH.DLL
    MSXML4   DLL     1,233,920  04-18-03  5:46p MSXML4.DLL
    DEVSHL   DLL     1,327,167  07-15-00 12:00a DEVSHL.DLL
    ROBOEX32 DLL     1,056,768  03-20-01  2:07p ROBOEX32.DLL
    DIROUT~1 TXT             0  08-16-09  9:09p DirOutput.txt
             6 file(s)      4,248,127 bytes
             4 dir(s)        7,476.50 MB free

IDK why, but most of my DLLs are in C:\WINDOWS\System, but I can guarentee this is Windows 98SE.

smeezekitty

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 11:16:17 PM »
    C:\windows\system32
    actully anything that is in system32 in modern OS's was in system on windows 98
    ----edit----
    just out of curiosity
    Cricket_Lover why did you censor out your volume name and serial number
    you cannot find out any info with that

Cricket_Lover

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 04:22:08 PM »
      I can't work on this right this second, my wireless adapter crashed the computer, a re-install of Windows failed (it lost it's hardware profile), and now I can't get the old install to go to anything above 640x480x4. If any of you could help, I believe I have the correct video card drivers installed, and the monitor is set to Plug-n-play, it being a model not listed on the monitors list. But the computer is sure the BIOS video card is of the specified model, I'll have to look at my backup of the Dell Documentation I have on this computer (a Windows XP)

Oh, and with the serial number and volume name, I have my last name in the volume name, and the serial number is a serial number. I don't want people claiming my HDD.

EDIT: I just remembered I had this problem at one other point, after I accidentially discovered the Windows installer, which inheriently erased my hardware profile, and locked the computer at 640x480x4. It had just about the same hardware as it does now; the only real difference for now is a 5 port USB 2.0 PCI card. Once I get this working again, I'll see about getting a system set up which will allow me access to my 300GB External HDD through DOS. I will then back up the ENTIRE hard drive to it. And use MS Backup or some other thing which will allow me to update the backup. I guess I'll also set up Norton Rescue Disk.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
      Oh, and with the serial number and volume name, I have my last name in the volume name, and the serial number is a serial number. I don't want people claiming my HDD.

???

the volume name makes sense, but I think the serial number causes some confusion- it isn't, literally, the serial number of the drive itself- but rather a random number generated when the drive is formatted. Each partition, in fact, gets it's own serial number.

I'm not even sure what it's for... a lot of anti-piracy techniques make use of it, though.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Cricket_Lover

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »
        ???

the volume name makes sense, but I think the serial number causes some confusion- it isn't, literally, the serial number of the drive itself- but rather a random number generated when the drive is formatted. Each partition, in fact, gets it's own serial number.

I'm not even sure what it's for... a lot of anti-piracy techniques make use of it, though.

I'm guessing that the anti-pirated software, when installed, makes an encrypted backup of the serial number into one of it's files (or the registry), which would forbid you from making a copy of the program directory and moving it to another computer. At least, there is a 1/100000000 (?) chance of it working, but it is an interesting alternative to severe rootkit-based softwares like SecuROM (ReClaimYourGame.com for very technical information about it).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »
        something like that. Too bad you can change the serial number... although it takes direct disk editing to do so.

Editpad Pro actually uses the serial number somehow, since when I replaced my HD it stopped running... and then I Norton Disk Edited the old Serial number into the Volume headers, and it worked again.

At least it's less invasive, and it's not really circumventable by the average joe.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Cricket_Lover

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 10:27:49 PM »
          Just got the video card working correctly again, the computer is very strange...

The video card is an Intel something, and it had it's drivers loaded. I
          told it to use new drivers, selecting the EXACT SAME DRIVER, closed the Display Properties dialog box (I used it's Advanced button), restarted the computer, got notified of the case having been opened (I was looking for the model number, which I found in my DxDiag), typed 'win', and at the login screen, I noticed it was using the 3D mouse cursor. I logged in, and my wallpaper was the full 16/24 bit, instead of the ugly 4 bit...

Well, I still need cursor help. In the mean time, I'll get the wireless adapter put back on that computer.

smeezekitty

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »
          did the mouse cursor flicker in the terriable 640x480 res?

Cricket_Lover

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 04:25:42 AM »
            did the mouse cursor flicker in the terriable 640x480 res?

The mouse cursor was set to Windows Default at the time (it currently is...). But something strange just happened on this computer; I got the WER dialog...