Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 2003-system space  (Read 7197 times)

wobbles

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Live everday as it was your last.
    • LauraCanFixIT.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
windows 2003-system space
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »
 when i installed Windows 2003 i noticed that it only left 20gigs for the system files. how do i increase that without reformatting the machine or messing it up. it has 2 terabytes in the machine. i am a newbie at this server thing but so far it is running great.

can someone lelp

Thanks

Wobbles

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: windows 2003-system space
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:10:11 PM »
I usually use Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery to redo partitions. I'll make an image of the system and then restore it to the same drive, modifying the partition size. This method makes the most sense to me, because you want to have a backup of your system before playing with partition tables anyways.
You can also use something like Partition Magic to resize partitions.
Personally, I don't make my system partition for server 2003 any bigger than 20-30 gb. server 03 doesn't need that much and I usually tell all of my server programs to store data on a separate partition. That way if the system has problems and needs to be restored, the data for the programs isn't touched.
My recommendation is to keep the system partition the same size and use the rest of the space for data on a separate partition.

wobbles

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Live everday as it was your last.
    • LauraCanFixIT.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: windows 2003-system space
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »
thanks for responding to me, but when i am tapping into the server from a remote location i cant get my programs as it says does not have enough space. and when i checked it last night it only had 466mb left.. i dont know what happened?? i Figure i would give the system 50gigs. i can always add another hard drive for more space.. as far as i know i only have system files and drivers. all my programs are on other drives. like i said i am new to this.. so do i have to back up everything before i mess with this.. its running nicely i realy dont want to mess with it. and when i was loading win03 i dont remember it asking me what size partition i wanted. normaly i dont partition drives i leave them whole.  thanks for your help!!