Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer turned itself on  (Read 3765 times)

BBsa

Computer turned itself on
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:54:03 AM »
I woke up today and my computer tower was turned on. Everynight I turned my computer off fully and ive used the computer itself for 2-3 years  and ive changed no options that should make this suddenly start occuring. Ive searched other forms and most of them say this is related to BIOs and turning off the "wake on lan", but I dont think its likely this would suddenly begin effecting me when it never has in the past.  On top of being on I found that my date/time was set incorrectly (sometime in octorber) and about 80% of the stuff in my start menu in the programs list are highlighted as if they were a recently installed file (Even the "New programs installed" bubble popped up). Im quite confused to how this happened seeing that ive installed nothing new over the past few weeks and I havnt been to any strange websites (Though I dont think a virus could do this either), so im worried something might be going out in the machine. According to my roommate the power went off for about 20 minutes while I was asleep, but I cant see a power outage making it turn on.  Any ideas of what might have caused this and if I should be worried or not?

Salmon Trout

Re: Computer turned itself on
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »
the power went off for about 20 minutes while I was asleep, but I cant see a power outage making it turn on.

Many BIOSes contain a "wake on AC power restore" or "AC power loss restart" option which does exactly that.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 11:30:53 AM »
Another possible setting to check in bios is "wake on lan"

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:24:41 PM »
Another possible setting to check in bios is "wake on lan"

The OP said

ve searched other forms and most of them say this is related to BIOs and turning off the "wake on lan", but I dont think its likely this would suddenly begin effecting me when it never has in the past.

I don't think it's logical to say that just because something never happened before it cannot be happening now.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
oops :-[

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 02:29:29 PM »
oops :-[

No need for that sad face, better to say a good thing twice than not at all.

smeezekitty

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
msot comptuers turn on when the power is restored
it could have also messed up bios settings

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »
msot comptuers turn on when the power is restored

Mine does not