Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I remove all of windows security so I can alter or del n/e thing??  (Read 27555 times)

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Here's a good thread: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=614472
Well, yes. That shows opinions from both sides. I just don't like it - it could be a bit more intelligent.

For example, if you open a program without admin privilages, a popup box appears "Do you want to open this program?" - after I just double clicked the icon to open it! Now on the other hand, when programs that open without your permission, it's a great feature. Although, I haven't seen TweakUAC before until now and it does look quite useful. It shouldn't take a third party company to come up with that, though.

But then again, Comodo PF with Defense+ does the same thing.

UAC does something, it stops potentially dangerous programs from running with administrator privlieges so they cannot cause havoc.
That's a quote from that link you gave. I have had none of this "havoc". For people who know what they're doing, IMO it's fine to have it off if it causes annoyance (which it does). I'm not this "newbie" to computers. I give my PC a full rundown about once a week with HijackThis, AV, AS, and Malwarebytes.

Many of the examples of that thread use IE as an example browser in their arguments. That's another reason to use Firefox, which I do.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Yeah, obviously I don't agree with a lot of stuff in that thread, but I think it's very interesting and informative none the less.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
heh, I meant to post here.

I disabled UAC when I first used vista, but I "forgot" to after a clean reinstall (No ADG, NOT related to a infection :P), and really didn't find it all that annoying.

First off, it's Really MS fixing a long-standing issue with Windows- that in order to do anything useful you almost always have to run as an administrator. People had been whining and whining about this- and what happens when MS finally adds it? they whine and whine about that. Make up your freaking mind people!  :)

i am tierd of right click
and run as admin
i am tierd of pop up boxes
there is only one user account
and i have virus and firewall
i see no reason to have it on

A:) Not all malware will trigger a Anti-virus. However in order to make Malicious changes they WILL need Administrator privileges. A prime example being that many poor souls might download something they think to be a Installer, or whatnot for their game or program. Running it on XP results in an infection- with UAC enabled in Vista you might get a pop-up saying that "C:\Temp\ADDEFFDG.EXE" requires administrator privileges. That's going to raise an eyebrow, I think.

For example, if you open a program without admin privilages, a popup box appears "Do you want to open this program?" - after I just double clicked the icon to open it! Now on the other hand, when programs that open without your permission, it's a great feature. Although, I haven't seen TweakUAC before until now and it does look quite useful. It shouldn't take a third party company to come up with that, though.

UAC has no idea that you double-clicked it in explorer- Explorer simply runs "ShellExecuteEx" On it, which in turn invokes a cascade of security related functions that end up displaying the UAC prompt.

Of course MS could do that, but then they always get in trouble when they make something too integrated.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Suggesting to disable UAC in a Help Forum is probably not a good idea considering the people's ability levels that normally are requesting help....

Anyone who decides to do it feel free to do so...but it's not solid advice.

Carry on...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
UAC has no idea that you double-clicked it in explorer- Explorer simply runs "ShellExecuteEx" On it, which in turn invokes a cascade of security related functions that end up displaying the UAC prompt.
I meant on the desktop, just to let you know.

smeezekitty

I meant on the desktop, just to let you know.
the desktop is a hidden explorer window

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
I know, but opening a program from the desktop does trigger UAC.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
the desktop is not a hidden explorer window- the "explorer window" is actually quite visible in the form of the taskbar.

the desktop itself, is created with a Listview that is created with a transparent background brush. (or maybe they employ Custom drawing, I'm not sure).

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
I thought the Desktop was ran on explorer.exe, the same as the Start menu and the taskbar... ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
yes, but as I said, it's not hidden, you can see the taskbar! you cannot see the listview itself- just the icons within it.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
Oh, sorry. I think I'm half a sleep. Long day....  :||x

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Suggesting to disable UAC in a Help Forum is probably not a good idea considering the people's ability levels that normally are requesting help....

Anyone who decides to do it feel free to do so...but it's not solid advice.

Carry on...

The O.P. asked how to do it. At least I think that's what they were asking. The question was kind of vague. Anyway I posted a link that (I think) answered the question. So sue me....

A:) Not all malware will trigger a Anti-virus. However in order to make Malicious changes they WILL need Administrator privileges. A prime example being that many poor souls might download something they think to be a Installer, or whatnot for their game or program. Running it on XP results in an infection- with UAC enabled in Vista you might get a pop-up saying that "C:\Temp\ADDEFFDG.EXE" requires administrator privileges. That's going to raise an eyebrow, I think.

That's a bit of a specious argument, don't you think? If an inexperienced user sees a message like that, they will most likely ignore it and run it because they are so anxious to play their game or what have you. Only people that are tech savvy would "raise their eyebrows" at that, while your average user will just assume it's part of the program. I may be wrong here but it seems to me that the more experienced computer users are the only people who benefit from this.  If you want proof just look at the malware board.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

smeezekitty

even some experenced people
would assume its some strange installation file and ok it
UAC is fairly usless

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
That's a bit of a specious argument, don't you think? If an inexperienced user sees a message like that, they will most likely ignore it and run it because they are so anxious to play their game or what have you. Only people that are tech savvy would "raise their eyebrows" at that, while your average user will just assume it's part of the program. I may be wrong here but it seems to me that the more experienced computer users are the only people who benefit from this.  If you want proof just look at the malware board.

Hmm, good point. Never really thought if it that way.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
UAC is fairly usless

Here's a good thread: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=614472