Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Portable 40GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive  (Read 4780 times)

Portable 40GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »
I am using OS Windows XP on IBM Laptop T42. Until recently had no issues recognition by my system of the external hard drive or accessing the information stored on my hard drive.  At this point the system recognizes the hard drive however freezes at that point the stem freezes and I am not able to access the hard drive.
I have done the following:
Using different laptop same results.
Start and run, to ope the hard drive same results.
My computer, double clicking on the hard drive.
Thank you in advance for advice,
Laura

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Portable 40GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
Sorry to say, but the external seems to be dead. The laptop is trying to acces the failed drive and locking up.

Does the external drive still spin and or make any noises?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:37:28 AM »
Right clik My Computer and select Manage...then Disk Management...how does it show up in there ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:33:22 AM »
Late yesterday plugged the HD in and Windows tried to open & search for files then nothing.
Shows up in my computer "F" drive right click highlights and hour glass shows attempts to open nothing.
I left this plugged in all night (yes a little desperate) causes my system to slow.
Noise, yes unfortunately, spinning and clicking regular intervals.
Do you believe there is a way to recover the data without spending a fortune? Honestly, a hard lesson learned I was using this HD as an "extension to my laptop". Store my work in this hard drive about ten years worth of documents and pictures. No I did not back this up anywhere else ugh.
Thank you,
Laura

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
There are companies that will recover (or attempt to recover) the data for you and a Google search will help you out there. But unfortunately I doubt there is a "cheap" solution.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 07:51:10 AM »
Thanks for your help apologies could not respond to Managment question. I am using another laptop to accomplish that task slow. I will post here if that is successful. Recovery yes had a feeling time to decide value of the work not looking forward to this.
Laura

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:58:01 AM »
Computer Management, from there to Disk Managment (because I was not sure how  to view the drive) good news system recognized the drive. The bad news Status: healthy, Capacity 37.25GB, Free Space: 37.25GB, %Free: 100%. End of story? BTW you probably realized that I have been calling this drive "F" when it is actually Drive "E" I would like to aknowledge your help & noticed you have thanks posted next to profile please let this "rookie" know how to do that.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »
It looks like your data is gone...
The most common cause of this with external drives is them being un-plugged prematurely without using the "Safely Remove Hardware tray tool...

The drive letter should make no difference.
For the Thanx feature just select who and clik that link within one of their Posts.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:44:44 AM »
It looks like your data is gone...
The most common cause of this with external drives is them being un-plugged prematurely without using the "Safely Remove Hardware tray tool...

The drive letter should make no difference.
For the Thanx feature just select who and clik that link within one of their Posts.
With all due respect Patio, I don't believe "safely remove" would cause data loss. At worst it would interrupt any existing data transfers, but it would not effect anything already on the drive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:55:13 AM »
I've seen it create quite a few RAW drives...

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »
I don't normally post to this website. I used this website as a tool or way to learn from others a valuable tool. With that in mind; this specific HD IBM 40GB USB 2.0 P/N has an off button. Right or wrong I have been using it to disconnect from the laptop since purchasing the HD late 2004. I have gone over this debacle more than a few times believing user fault.  The last time I successfully used the HD was before I came home from a trip. It is possible despite my best efforts (came with a well padded traveling case. Stored in travel in my PC case also well padded) that this HD took a hit? Don't know and I cannot see any external damage. My hope is that the OS Disk Management may not recognize or the disk does not communicate past the physical damage. The plan is to take the HD out of the enclosure and see if I can bypass possible physical damage and find files. I will post here once I have tried.  All of you very helpful and have my respect.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »
If you are going to try it yourself i suggest the slave drive approach...sometimes USB doesn't quite cut it

Slave Drive Tutorial...

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »
Yes that's the plan. It will be a few days before I can attempt this need to "real life work".  Promise I will let you know end results and how I accomplished the job.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »
I'm hoping for success on your end...
Best of Luck.

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 06:42:45 AM »