Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My SBCC Introduction  (Read 10410 times)

kimdino

Topic Starter

My SBCC Introduction
    « on: August 20, 2009, 02:49:42 AM »
    Hi folks,

I suppose I qualify for the SBCC as I've built the odd computer over the years.

My first was a ZX81 from kit form. This came with 1kb of RAM, stated maximum was 16kb so I added 32kb. This was absolutely loads and I doubt I ever managed to use more than half of it.

The second is not strictly a build but a mod but as it took more effort than a PC assembly I list it here. I added a floppy drive to a ZX Spectrum & added traps in the ROM to handle the DOS commands. The thing had become a mass of wobbly plugs and leads so I applied a saw to a wooden box and mounted it all in there with a proper keyboard.

I then had an Amstrad PCW for a few years. This worked as needed so nothing was done other than adding a 5" drive (the discs were cheaper and higher capacity than the native 3".

At some point in the early 90s the AT PC became established enough to draw me in. Since then I have assembled dozens. My current system is Phenom x4 based. I'm looking to add a four drive RAID-5 but currently can't justify the expense. It's is running Kubuntu.

Cheers, kimdino

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: My SBCC Introduction
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »
    Fantastic history of computers and I've got you added to the SBCC. Welcome.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: My SBCC Introduction
    « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »
    Welcome Aboard kim...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "