Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can i make bart pe disk without xp install disk?  (Read 4570 times)

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    can i make bart pe disk without xp install disk?
    « on: August 21, 2009, 10:20:29 PM »
    my computer came with a hidden recovery partition.  i don't have an xp installation cd.  there never was one.
    is there any way i can assemble the files needed to create a bart pe disk, either by copying the necessary files, or by other means, from the recovery partitions files?.
    if not, what files am i lacking? 

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: can i make bart pe disk without xp install disk?
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »
    Does your computer have an icon for creating recovery disks?
    Evil is an exact science.

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:42:14 AM »
      do you want to know if i have made disks?  the answer is yes, i have disks.
      otherwise i know that there is a procedure to access the recovery console if you need me to do that.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »
      There is a good thread about PE boot disks here.

Now I'm not sure if you have tried those steps, or what else you may need - I've only had one cup of coffee so far.
      So let us know.

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 01:27:16 PM »
        I've only had one cup of coffee so far.

i can relate, i like coffee myself.
        i have checked out the link you provided, be it briefly, and i am investigating it further.  i will be making a dvd of the (anticipated and pending) windows7 iso and perhaps one of any vista iso if it presents itself.  i readily admit, i am not sure what it does, but i have an idea, and it is interesting.  i hope you could "hang around" the thread.  my skills are only intermediate, at best.  i'm sure that i will have more questions for you.
        oh, and one quick question that has come to mind.  should i use a separate hard drive?  i think i can recall reading something about installation.  there is a LOT there.

thanks for your time and help.  i have been visiting/spectating computerhope for a long time, now i am glad to be participating in the sites activities.  i like the site.

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:23:53 PM »
        What brand is your computer?

If it's a brand name then a quick call to the manufacturer can usually secure the disks with little or no fuss.

What would you be using the other HDD for?
        If you are referring to a multiple boot system then you don't necessarily need it, but it could be handy.

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »
          the computer in question is a compaq presario sr1103wm.  i bought it around 2002 at walmart and i'm not sure if i still have the paperwork for it.  i think you're suggesting that i call hp and see if they would fix me up with an installation disk, aren't you?  as i have become more and more knowledgeable about computers, i have been seeing how that makes sense.  when they give you the "hidden recovery partition alternative" they really are not doing you a favor.  the xp installation disk is so much better.  by the way, the operating system on the presario is xp.
          i was under the assumption that i could possibly be getting the release candidate for windows7, since it is being offered as a beta trial, and a different hard drive would enable me to try it out.  i can see how i would need to already have a working OS to make this happen for me anyway, hence going dual-boot would be necessary.

after looking things over and downloading what i thought could be relevant to me from the link you provided, this is what i have:

getting started with MDT 2008 update 1.zip
          microsoft deployment toolkit x64 msi
          microsoft deployment toolkit x86 msi
          optional - MDT print-ready documentation.zip
          vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img

the cpu is a celeron, so toolkit x64 would not be correct, would it?  if i need toolkit.

a winPE disk would be useful to me, from what i have read.
          did i download what i need?
          thanks 

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 04:11:34 PM »
          I'm actually suggesting that you call Compaq(now HP) and get them to send you the correct installation disk.

The file that you listed as "vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img" doesn't look legal.

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »
            I'm actually suggesting that you call Compaq(now HP) and get them to send you the correct installation disk.

i will.  what the heck, all they can tell me is "no".  in fact, i found the receipt for the computer, but that may not be good enough for them. 

The file that you listed as "vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img" doesn't look legal.

it came off their site.  alot happened so i can't remember specifically, but i think they verified me just before allowing me to have it.  they definitely verified me, it's just when that i can't remember for sure.
            i can hunt down the url with the link if you want it, but it's definitely official microsoft code.

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 06:39:52 PM »

it came off their site.  alot happened so i can't remember specifically, but i think they verified me just before allowing me to have it.  they definitely verified me, it's just when that i can't remember for sure.
            i can hunt down the url with the link if you want it, but it's definitely official microsoft code.

If it came from Compaq's site then it should be legit for you.  Double check with them that it is the correct file.

ejames82

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »
              no, this all came from the link you provided for me that sends me to microsoft.
              click on the third (last) link, go down to the bottom of the page and select  #4.  at first they downloaded me a docx file and it didn't seem like the proper thing to happen.  i expected the usual "save file to where" window.  anyway,  clicking on choice #4 sends you directly to the verify page, and you get verified just before getting the file.  totally legal.

vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img

if i burnt this image to a disk, what uses would it have?

by the way, i will call compaq monday to see if they can fix me up with a disk.
              thanks.

Quantos

Guru
              • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 12:57:03 PM »
              no, this all came from the link you provided for me that sends me to microsoft.

Oh okay, I missed that.  That should be fine then.