Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How much would my laptop be worth if I were to sell it?  (Read 6753 times)

Mulreay

Re: How much would my laptop be worth if I were to sell it?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
and you could get in some big big trobule

Really.. I assume you mean trouble. No you will not get into trouble selling a computer with pirated software. Don't be so stupid and post useless information.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 04:02:53 AM »
Really.. I assume you mean trouble. No you will not get into trouble selling a computer with pirated software.
Are you sure?  I would assume that distributing pirated software is illegal, at least that's what the law tends to say ...

Mulreay

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 04:06:24 AM »
Are you sure?  I would assume that distributing pirated software is illegal, at least that's what the law tends to say ...

Who would ever report you for selling a laptop with pirated software? And honestly what could the police do or want to do?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 04:41:31 AM »
Possible the buyer?  I don't think I'd be too happy if I paid for a laptop with, say, Windows XP, and it turned out it was pirated.
I'd contact the police and give them the name and address of the seller, personally.
It's happened to me before but the seller disappeared, it was probably one of the most frustrating things that's happened to be unable to track him down and punch him in the mouth for conning me.
if you're happy with paying for pirated software, that's up to you ... I'm not.

Mulreay

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 04:45:56 AM »
Possible the buyer?  I don't think I'd be too happy if I paid for a laptop with, say, Windows XP, and it turned out it was pirated.
I'd contact the police and give them the name and address of the seller, personally.
It's happened to me before but the seller disappeared, it was probably one of the most frustrating things that's happened to be unable to track him down and punch him in the mouth for conning me.
if you're happy with paying for pirated software, that's up to you ... I'm not.

True I never thought of it that way. I would personally knock someone out for doing that to me but police? Probably won't do anything.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 04:47:54 AM »
The police may not be interested if it's a one-off, true, but it has been known.
However, Microsoft may well be interested in the seller.
I have a friend who worked at a computer stall in a market, one day just after he left they were raided and the employees arrested for distributing pirated software.  I accept that's different, but goes to show it does happen.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 05:27:23 AM »

My OS is genuine and activated and it is not an RC build. I have build 7600

My copy isn't exactly legal, so I guess your right, but it is activated though.
::)
What's not legal about it? It is either Win7 RC (release candidate) or an earlier beta version. Downloads for Win7 RC, with product key included, have been available to anyone, free of charge, until August 20th. I've had Win7 Ultimate RC build 7600 on my Dell PC for a few months, activated, with legal product key, just like many other people worldwide. Unless you work for Microsoft I'd re-read what Patio posted.
Win7 hasn't been released yet so you don't have a genuine copy.

I'm sorry to break this to you but you do not have a valid copy of Win7 no matter what you say...

Windows 7 will be available on 10/22/2009

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 05:42:04 AM by lectrocrew »