Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tracking Programs???  (Read 15913 times)

Bob

Tracking Programs???
« on: May 06, 2004, 01:11:42 PM »
Our cmputers at  home are maintained by my brother's computer and handywork. I didn't care unil I found out he invades our privacy and tracks what we (look at, do, type, etc.) and knows everything about what we do online. IS it actually possible to do that or is it just a lie? If it's true is there a way to somehow stop it or prevent the program from tracking?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Tracking Programs???
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 01:18:04 PM »
    Bob....Yes .....it is possible to track one's activities on a computer.....In fact many programs ie messenger and that sort of app. generates a log of every keystroke that is taken when using that program. There are also
    Spy type of programs that can be installled to keep track of computer activities......So BEWARE..........

Hope this answers your question.

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Joleen

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 01:22:12 PM »
    It is very possible, I do it all the time at work (of course I don't like to do it but I'm a sysadmin and it's part of my job).  The easiest way to snoop is to look at your cookies or tempfiles.  There are 'keyloggers' which will snoop and record your every keystroke.  I can even actively watch what a user is doing anywhere in our company and they wouldn't know (we paid a lot of money for the program called Zenworks).

The best way to prevent it is to do your own maintenence.  I'd format your drive and start fresh since it's impossible to know for sure what is on your system.

Get an antivirus app and some of the many spyware programs out there.  Scan yourself.

merlin

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 02:17:28 PM »
    and just to add to this get yourself a firewall like sygate. most keyloggers may use radmin?remote access?
    « Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 02:18:30 PM by merlin »