Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Audacity lame  (Read 2693 times)

henner

Topic Starter

Rookie

Audacity lame
    « on: September 03, 2009, 05:56:53 AM »
    1. I have Audacity to record my own spoken material. To convert it to MP3 I needed Lame. I have installed it, following the step-by-step program. However, when I want to convert a recording to MP3 I get the pop up Could Not Open MP3 Encoding Library. I have repeated this quite a few times, always - not surprisingly - with the same result. Any good advice?

2. I want to sell these recordings together but separated from  my book through various internet outlets (click bank, paypal / payloadz etc). Is there anyone who has experience in it (I haven't): What is advisable MP3 or wav; zipped or unzipped (each recording is at most for 30 minutes)?
    Please help!

smeezekitty

Re: Audacity lame
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:28:43 PM »
    1. I have Audacity to record my own spoken material. To convert it to MP3 I needed Lame. I have installed it, following the step-by-step program. However, when I want to convert a recording to MP3 I get the pop up Could Not Open MP3 Encoding Library. I have repeated this quite a few times, always - not surprisingly - with the same result. Any good advice?

2. I want to sell these recordings together but separated from  my book through various internet outlets (click bank, paypal / payloadz etc). Is there anyone who has experience in it (I haven't): What is advisable MP3 or wav; zipped or unzipped (each recording is at most for 30 minutes)?
    Please help!

are you using windows, linnux or mac?
    for #1 try going http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9976&9976
    for #2 they would have to be compressed or they would be vary vary large

henner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:50:36 AM »
      Thanks for that, Smeezekitty

I checked your advice for my #1 question and found to my great relief that it was not my ignorance that created this problem, but that there were quite a few inquiries for the same problem. I still find it quite cumbersome, but at least I can now do wav and mp3. - BTW I use Windows.

#2: daft question: compressed is the same as zip, is it? Do the buyers of my material have to have unzip / de-compress software? See, I want to make it as easy as I possibly can for them.
      Thanks again.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 06:55:36 AM »
      #2: daft question: compressed is the same as zip, is it?

No it is not. Not daft question, smeezekitty is right; For sound files, mp3 is a compressed format; wav is not; 30 minutes mp3 stereo at 192 kbps is around 40 MB; 30 mins wav is around 300 MB. wav is a totally pointless format for web distribution.

With spoken material you could use a much lower bitrate than 192 kbps and maybe mono and get even smaller mp3 files.

No point in compressing mp3 files in a zip archive, as not much size reduction is possible if files are already compressed.
      « Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:21:30 AM by Salmon Trout »

henner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 02:41:24 AM »
        Thank you Salmon Trout; you took a weight off my shoulders!
        You might be able to answer my second question: I will put a downloadable / printable book for sale on the internet. It's about 1Mb PDF. Zip or not? Bearing in mind that I want to make it as easy as I possible can for the buyer.
        Thanks in advance.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 03:19:30 AM »
        Using maximum zip compression in WinRAR, I did a test for you (you could have done this yourself!)

Code: [Select]
        26/07/2008  19:56         1,968,333 mg_barcelona.pdf
        07/09/2009  10:08         1,937,667 mg_barcelona.zip

So not much. PDF files are like mp3, wmv, mpeg, and jpg files; already compressed, so that no compression algorithm can find any big savings to make. I even downloaded a "free" "pdf compression" program and the output file was 100% of the size of the original.

So the answer is, don't bother; PDF format is already optimized for web distribution, and using zip will only introduce an un-needed step that your customers will have to take, making the process less easy, for no good reason.

henner

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 03:53:13 AM »
          Once again thank you so much Salmon Trout; that's another weight off my shoulders - still a few more to go.