Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

what operating sysyem do you have

windows 7
1 (12.5%)
windows vista
0 (0%)
windows xp
5 (62.5%)
windows 2000
0 (0%)
windows 98
0 (0%)
windows NT
0 (0%)
windows CE
0 (0%)
Mac
0 (0%)
obuntu
0 (0%)
other
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 07, 2009, 06:28:06 AM

Author Topic: operating system poll  (Read 3344 times)

Topic Starter

Beginner

operating system poll
    « on: September 05, 2009, 06:28:06 AM »
    just carious to see what people are  still using for there operating system
    What would you change about it

And what do you dislike are like about the newer are older versions. that the other one did are didn't have.
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:22:04 PM by 876543219 »
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear                     microsoft windows xp professional  version 2002 service pack 3 celeron 2.80ghz 20gb hardrive 504mb ram

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: september poll
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 07:06:21 AM »
    You'll most likely get several responses to the effect that there have been umpty-nine other polls on this subject, so other than this sentence I won't mention that fact.  Please use the search function in future though, to save unnecessary redundant polls.  Also, usually the monthly polls are conducted by the site admin, and the current one each month will be found stickied at the top of this board.  A name that describes the actual poll would have been a better choice for your subject.

I'm using a variety of OSes on different machines.
    My main rig has XP X64 Edition on it.  There are hundreds of little things I'd like to change about it, but I think that's true of everyone.  I'm happy with it.
    As for your second question - what do I like/dislike about newer/older versions, that's a long story, but here's a short version.
    Windows 95 and 98 don't support much of my hardware and I've found them fairly unstable.  Windows NT 4 is a great OS IMHO, but again it doesn't support most of my hardware.  Windows 2000 is also a great OS, however I've found that on a machine with adequate memory it's actually slower than XP.  XP is fine, and I would use that but for the fact that I've discovered two better OSes.  Windows Server 2003, I've found that's faster than XP on the same hardware (at least for me) and is also based on a newer kernel so is more stable.  Disadvantage is that some software won't run on it.  Windows XP X64 edition is based on Server 2003 but is 64 bit.  Compared to XP it's faster for me, compared to Server 2003 it runs more software.  Vista I haven't had much experience with, ditto Windows 7, Mac OS, and Linux.
    I still use, on a fairly regular basis, NT4, 98SE, 2000, XP and Server 2003, it's just that for my main machine XP X64 ticks the most boxes.

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:23:10 AM »
      yeah sorry about the repost i now  see this was the topic for the month of june but that poll made no sence windows nt was the highest and then 95 they both took up 50 percent I have windows xp xp proffesional i previously had 95 and 98 then windows xp proffesional i can't think of any i don't like     
      mine that the previous versions i had did but i do like what a couple things that windows vista has that mine doesn.t espiecally how you can quickly
      scroll threw your open programs i downloaded rocket dock it did work good and you could see windows media player and opened web browsers and you could see what was in the browsers before you clicked on  it but when i open up one of the web browsers the other one closes and goes to my bottum bar  then i have to click on it again and minimize it in order to go to rockiet dock which is really annoying is there any other programs like rocket dock i could try
      « Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 08:35:15 AM by 876543219 »
      Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear                     microsoft windows xp professional  version 2002 service pack 3 celeron 2.80ghz 20gb hardrive 504mb ram

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »
      im using windows 7

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • ThomasTheXPUser
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: operating system poll
      « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »
      XP and 7.

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
      Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
      There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:57:54 AM »
      yeah sorry about the repost i now  see this was the topic for the month of june but that poll made no sence windows nt was the highest and then 95

The poll was what was the FIRST version of windows used
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.