Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can i have two operating systems on one computer  (Read 19584 times)

Topic Starter

Beginner

can i have two operating systems on one computer
    « on: September 07, 2009, 05:35:48 AM »
     Hello i was wondering if could put ubuntu on my computer and also have xp  on it at the same tieme without deleting xp and the files  on it i seen somebody had windows 98 and xp on there computer and i seen ubuntu and i just thought it would be something fun to play around with

this was an edit sence the first person said yes can i uninstall this in  add and remove if i  don't want it in xp
    « Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:42:34 AM by 876543219 »
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear                     microsoft windows xp professional  version 2002 service pack 3 celeron 2.80ghz 20gb hardrive 504mb ram

gh0std0g74

Apprentice

Re: can i have two operating systems on one computer
      « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 06:37:22 AM »
      yes.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:14:12 AM »
        Your not installing it xp.  What you can do is spilt the drive partiton an tell it to install to that, which in turn creats a dual boot.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • ThomasTheXPUser
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »
        Hello i was wondering if could put ubuntu on my computer and also have xp  on it at the same tieme without deleting xp and the files  on it i seen somebody had windows 98 and xp on there computer and i seen ubuntu and i just thought it would be something fun to play around with

this was an edit sence the first person said yes can i uninstall this in if i  don't want it in xp

Yes. There is a program called Wubi that does just that, but NO partitioning at all, and it resides in a folder called  "ubuntu" on your hard drive. You get to keep XP, and if you don't want Ubuntu anymore you can uninstall it via add/remove programs. But only if you install it with Wubi. Try it out

http//wubi-installer.org

if you want to do it the old fashioned way and partition your drive, there are partition tools such as

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,72826-order,3-page,1/description.html
        http://gparted.sourceforge.net

Then install Ubuntu on your newly-made partition

BE CAREFUL WITH PARTITIONING, HAVE A BACKUP!!!

--Thomas

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
        Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
        There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:10:28 AM »
          I'm not that linux fluent, sorry but I have messed with dual booting an what not
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »
            sounds simple enough can somebody give me step by step advise on how to use the wubi tool to download ububtu
            i only have 4 gbs left it's a 20 are 18.6 hard drive is that enough
            Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear                     microsoft windows xp professional  version 2002 service pack 3 celeron 2.80ghz 20gb hardrive 504mb ram

mroilfield

Mentor
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »
            sounds simple enough can somebody give me step by step advise on how to use the wubi tool to download ububtu
            i only have 4 gb is that enough

What is the total size of your hard drive? You need at least 15% free for windows to function correctly.
            You can't fix Stupid!!!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 02:01:08 PM »
              its about 20 gbs according too him, I would get a fourty or eighty so that both have room to work, though linux dont need a whole lot

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • ThomasTheXPUser
              « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »
              What is the total size of your hard drive? You need at least 15% free for windows to function correctly.

I have my Windows on 3 GB free space :)

i only have 4 gbs left it's a 20 are 18.6 hard drive is that enough

You might want to clear your temp files on Windows if you have only 4 GB free space, because you will only have 3.5 GB for Ubuntu (you need 5 GB space to run Wubi, says the official site)

When you clear the space, I will run it with you, step by step

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
              Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
              There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

cragtom

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
                Yes. There is a program called Wubi that does just that, but NO partitioning at all, and it resides in a folder called  "ubuntu" on your hard drive. You get to keep XP, and if you don't want Ubuntu anymore you can uninstall it via add/remove programs. But only if you install it with Wubi. Try it out

http//wubi-installer.org

if you want to do it the old fashioned way and partition your drive, there are partition tools such as

--Thomas
                Hi i am new to this and I am very interested in doing this but the wubu link will not work at my end plus will it work with vista as I do not fancy the partition route it is o.e.m vista with no backups

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
                  Hello I  really can't free up that much space i already deletied of all the programs i didn't want and ran a compress disk drive to save space in c properties and i did a disk cleanup and have only 4.45 of free space most of my space about ten gbs worth are pictures which i can't get rid of because i don't have a cd burner

how safe or online storage sights like google and amazon to put my pictures on

i have an older computer 500mhz would it work on that

gh0std0g74

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 05:51:41 PM »
                    you can just use a virtual software such as vmware or virtualbox to install your OS.

smeezekitty

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »

http//wubi-installer.org

--Thomas
                    you dont need nothing to do it
                    heres how you do it
                    boot into windows
                    pop the cd in
                    and choose to install insde windows
                    you can select at boot time with no partitioning

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                    • Geek After Dark
                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                    • Certifications: List