Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade Win98 to Win98SE  (Read 4254 times)

powerhouse

Upgrade Win98 to Win98SE
« on: June 10, 2005, 06:03:55 AM »
My computer currently runs on Windows 98.  I have signed up for BT Broadband but now realise the minimum requirement is Windows 98SE.  I have the full Windows 98 SE disk which came with my partner's computer.  

It won't let me upgrade with this disk and I am a little afraid of re-formatting my hard disk.

any suggestions on how I might use this disk to upgrade my Windows 98 or what else I ought to do?

Many thanks!

Raptor

Re: Upgrade Win98 to Win98SE
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 06:21:14 AM »
If it will work for Windows 98SE, it will most likely work for Windows 98 as well.

powerhouse

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 07:26:37 AM »
I thought the same but, unfortunately, although it starts to go through the motions, it then says the system doesn't support it.  The disk actually specifies Windows SE on it.  It is v. frustrating but the same thing has happened to a work colleague....

Another acquaintance suggested partitioning my hard disk but,  despite being fairly computer literate, I'm more au fait with software than hardware/innards and I am struggling to understand how to install the OS once I have made the partition.

When I try to run the CD through DOS, it does not recognise that the drive (E:) is there, although it will happily switch between the hard drives C: and D:

Anyhow, as you can probably tell (!) I have tried a few avenues and am determined to acheive this upgrade!!  I know I should just go out and buy a new disk but I'm not that well-to-do and it is v. annoying when we have the disk in the house already.

Many thanks again for any help.....

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 07:54:38 AM »
What disk are you speaking of? Often CD-ROM's given by Internet Service Providers are irrelevant and contain software that can be downloaded when needed later on. They also may configure your Internet settings automatically. I suggest you do it manually.

You can partition your Hard Disk Drive by using a Bootdisk and once accesed the A:\ prompt type fdisk.

Be aware that in order to create new partitions on your Hard Disk Drive, your drive letters will be reassigned resulting in unreadable data that was installed before partitioning. Note that this is not the same as formatting.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 07:55:56 AM by Raptor »

hywaydave

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 08:55:37 AM »
I'm assuming you're going to connect your modem through USB.  I would just visit the manufacturer's website and see if you can download the USB drivers for your particular model.

If you need additional help, you can reach me at ResourcePC.

Dave