Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recovering files from my USB stick  (Read 7396 times)

6troopers

Topic Starter

Starter

Recovering files from my USB stick
    « on: September 16, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »
    Hi all,

Last night i was copying files from my USB stick to my computer but mid-way my computer crashed. Now when I plug in my memory stick and try and open it a message appears telling me that it needs to be reformatted before it can be opened. It also says that by agreeing to do this all data will be deleted from it.
    Is there any way i can recover the files I have on the memory stick?

Thank you to anybody for your help & sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm not great with computers.

Nick.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Recovering files from my USB stick
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 06:48:25 PM »
    try uysing REST2514 to restore the files from your memory stick. 

Using REST2514 to recover deleted files from flash memory devices

This tool will search any NTFS or FAT32 drive and recover a list of deleted files that can be restored.

A list of deleted files is created. To restore one or more files, highlight them and click 'restore by copying' then choose a target directory. Note that the file name you are looking for may have its first letter overwritten by a '$' symbol, as this is the symbol appended to a file by the operating system when it is deleted.

If the file you want is not in the list, try searching again with the 'include used clusters by other files' option checked. This will include files which have been partially overwritten in the list. Note that this may well mean that your file will be corrupted or unreadable.

6troopers

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »
      Sorry, just to check. I should reformat the memory stick and then search for the deleted files??

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:11:23 PM »
      hold on a second, do you have a second pc or something to check your USB stick on to see if it goes directly to asking you to format or whether it cna read the files from the flash drive normally?

If another computer can read the files off, then you can just back it up there. Else I think you can only reformat and attempt recovery.

Did you have important files saved onto that flash drive?

6troopers

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »
        I have tried it on another computer and there is also just goes straight to formatting.

I do have important files on it and realled need to avoid losing them.

Any advice is appreciated.