Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: inspiron 6000  (Read 2521 times)

blackjack

Topic Starter

inspiron 6000
    « on: September 20, 2009, 09:35:08 PM »
    hi I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. The registry is corrupt and when windows loads I get "when trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is incorrect" and it restarts on itself and continually does this. The recovery partion does not load when I press ctrl+F11 at the dell screen. I have a windows xp pro cd and can get into the setup. I can get into the recovery console but when it asks for a password and I type my password in it does not work, and when I leave the password field blank and press enter it doesn't work. so I can't really get in and fix the registry. There are no passwords set in the bios. I tried to do the repair by pressing enter at the xp cd setup and accepting the agreement and trying to repair it that way, no success.

My brother has the exact same laptop because we got it at the same time, his works fine and his recovery partion loads fine by pressing ctrl+F11. Is there any way I can use his recovery partion on his computer and copy it over to my hard drive and do a clean install of my broken laptop as if it were the day I bought it by doing the recovery partion? I own a 2.5" to 3.5" Laptop IDE Hard Disk Drive HDD Adapter. So I can get into the hard drive and all its files.

So my question is can I copy the recovery partion files from the working laptop hard drive and put them into the hard drive that is corrupt? and where are the files on the good computer? where do I put them on the corrupt one? will this idea even work? should I go about fixing this in another way?

thanks for any help!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: inspiron 6000
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »
    Nope...
    Won't work one machine to the next.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

blackjack

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »
      does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the problem?

leejaedong

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
        For Dell systems, You can try to request whats called a Dell SRCD which is a batch of cds (or dvds) that would actually rebuild the recovery partition on the computer. Although your system would have to be in warranty if i remember it correctly for you to request them. If not ask if you can purchase it from them.

Guessing that its not, you'll have to reinstall the OS from scratch.
        Ee Han Timing! GG hwaiting!