Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: diskedit.exe  (Read 16529 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: diskedit.exe
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 07:26:41 PM »
1. Boot the computer to a command prompt (not Windows); Diskedit needs exclusive access to the drives you plan to examine. If you use Windows 9x, press F8 or Ctrl to bring up the startup menu and select Safe Mode Command Prompt, or use the Windows 9x/Me Emergency start up disk (make one with add/remove programs). If you use Windows 2000 or XP, insert a blank floppy disk into drive A:, right-click drive A: in My Computer, and select Format.  Select the create an MS-DOS startup Disk option and use this disk to start your computer.[/i]

All this is predicated by saying it doesn't exist in Windows...
There was a diskedit in DOS but it was not even close to the Norton utility...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
Yes, I am at a command prompt.  I made an ms-dos boot disk as per instructions and booted to it.  When I'm at the A:\> prompt, I type C:  and it says Invalid Drive Specification
The book you have is either very old or badly edited.
You must do your  experiments on the A: drive. You can edit sectors on the A: drive until you ruin it and then you will have to create a new floppy.
FYI. You can use the old DEBUG program to edit the floppy disk also. And a great learning experience.  8)

EEVIAC

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 10:01:30 PM »
All this is predicated by saying it doesn't exist in Windows...

If I had read the page just before the instructions I would have known this.  ;D     I didn't exactly start the "Windows Data Recovery" chapter at the beginning.

FYI. You can use the old DEBUG program to edit the floppy disk also. And a great learning experience.

thanks I'll look into it as well..