Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Windows98 with swappable cd/floppy driv  (Read 5326 times)

Ben Haile

Installing Windows98 with swappable cd/floppy driv
« on: June 11, 2005, 02:51:48 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to re-install Windows98 and I'm stumped by the following:

My computer is a Dell labtop that can use either a cdrom or a floppy drive, but not both at the same time.  You have to pull one out and replace it with the other.

I already cleaned out the C:\ drive.

When I boot up with the Windows startup disk, using the floppy drive, the driver for the cdrom drive fails because the cdrom drive is not there.

But then there is no way to use the cdrom drive to install Windows.

With my limited knowledge of Dos, I tried copying all the files from the startup disk onto the C:\ drive and then restarting the computer with the cdrom drive in place, but I still get a message saying invalid startup disk.

Any suggestions?

merlin_2

Re: Installing Windows98 with swappable cd/floppy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 02:58:54 PM »
Hold down the f1/f2 on boot .....>>>bios setup screen>. now change the boot sequence to boot from cdrom drive.....save and exit.....load the win98 disk.. now at the<type> ..d:\>win98 setup...or with the boot floppy

A:\>SYS C:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 03:04:11 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 05:27:32 PM »
Boot directly from the Windows 98 CD-ROM by setting the CD-ROM drive as the first boot device.

Ben Haile

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 01:38:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate your help.  I tried going into setup, but I am unable to change any of the fields, not even the date and time.  I'm sure this was not the case last time I entered setup.  What else can I do?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 01:42:03 PM »
but I am unable to change any of the fields, not even the date and time.

I assume that you are unable to use the mouse?

If such is the case, then I suggest that you use the tab key to select the button/option you wish and spacebar to confirm.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 01:55:17 PM »
what happens in you type time   after the dos  prompt..... also type dir.......what is listed.....

Ben Haile

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »
Hi,
   My problem is that all of my setup options are locked and can not be changed.  It is true that my mouse is not working, but I am familiar with using the tab to go places.  When I tab to any field in any page of setup, or use the up/down arrows to get there, and then try to use the left or right arrows to make a change, nothing happens.

I haven't used this labtob in over a year.  In the past I have been able to make changes in the setup options.

- Ben

Ben Haile

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 05:01:44 PM »
By the way, to follow up on Merlin's question, when I type DIR at the dos prompt I get a list of files on the A:\ drive.

When I type TIME at the dos prompt I get a time that bears no relation to the actual time in this part of the world.

- Ben

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 01:38:15 AM »
 I haven't used this labtob in over a year.  In the past I have been able to make changes in the setup options.

Is there an option enabled in the Laptop BIOS that disables the use of the keyboard? Perhaps a theft prevention system?