Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is proxy server  (Read 4093 times)

Topic Starter

Beginner

What is proxy server
    « on: September 21, 2009, 04:34:08 AM »
    This poped up what is it and is it anything to worry about

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear                     microsoft windows xp professional  version 2002 service pack 3 celeron 2.80ghz 20gb hardrive 504mb ram

cat-bomb

Beginner
      • Insert Website Here
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What is proxy server
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:22:10 AM »
    I'm guessing you did not installed a proxy server or you forgot that you installed one.

Try asking around your family/room mates if they used your computer and installed a proxy server. If they did not try following the steps here.
    ].

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:11:40 AM »
    Actually, this isn't related to a "proxy server" but rather a "proxy desktop".

This thread here has a few suggestions; and a few members appear to have been successful with them.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6212
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »
      this happend the day after i uninstalled my superanti spyware could this be why

And nobody else uses my computer I use a password and make sure my i'm log off everytime i'm not around but I do have a guest account
      and no i didn't download this i never heard of this

and i run all those logs regularly I just did the logs two days and posted them
      Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear                     microsoft windows xp professional  version 2002 service pack 3 celeron 2.80ghz 20gb hardrive 504mb ram

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »
        I found this from here: http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6212

The proxy desktop is related to windows Explorer freezing. If you open Task Manager you should see multiple instances of Explorer.exe. Ending the processes in Task Manager should stop the error message.

There's a rather obfuscated explanation at MSDN, under remarks.

In addition, please untick- Windows Explorer >Tools > Folder Options > View > Launch folder windows in a separate process - and see if that helps. Having this on is supposed to increase system stability by opening each folder in a separate part of memory. But sometimes performance takes a hit and may be related to this problem. Experiment!
        Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?