Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU usage  (Read 13012 times)

nate22

Topic Starter

Beginner

CPU usage
    « on: September 21, 2009, 10:40:33 PM »
    Hey,
    I recently started folding after reading about what the program does.
    I have my name and everything up and have X amount of points so far,yet i would like to boost how much the program uses my CPU.
    Is that even possible?! I'm running vista on the only rig I'm folding on (so far, I'm going to set more rigs up soon) and the CPU usage widget shows my CPU usage is around 30-40 %. Is there a way that i can boost to 100 % when I'm not using my rig, such as when I'm asleep or at school? But still able for my to turn down CPU usage when i use my rig for personal use?
    If there is please tell me and try and make it as simple as possible for me please. I'm new to this folding thing but am greatly interested in the program.

Ugarte

Beginner

Re: CPU usage
      « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:35:51 AM »
      Are you running one of the F@H High Performance Clients?  I haven't tried the *normal* client, so I'm not sure if that amounts to much of a difference.  Regardless, seeing 50% CPU usage on a Quad Core is common.  I ran into the same problem, and asked about it on the F@H forums.  Long story short, the clients are "inefficient" when running on Windows, for whatever reason.  Even though I can pull up the Task Manager (Showing Processes from all users) and it lists 4 work units being folded, it runs each at 50% for whatever reason.

If you install a 2nd CPU client into a different folder and run that as well, I noticed it got my CPU usage to 100%.  Whether this will net you more points a day or not, I'm not sure.  While I tried it briefly, I wasn't happy with my Computer's temperature while running both CPU clients and my GPU client, so I can't comment on its effectiveness, other than it showed a CPU usage of 100%.  Whatever you end up doing, I'd say consistency is best.  Keeping it running overnight is a good way to make progress, if you aren't concerned with leaving your computer on for extended times, or using the electricity. 

For me, F@H never seems to throttle back as much as I'd like when I'm gaming, so I usually just shut off the client when I need to.  I believe you risk losing some information when you do this, but I haven't had many issues.  Any big dips in my points per day is usually because I sat at home playing games, or I just forgot to start up the darn clients *after* a game  ;D  Hope you picked our team for Folding  ;)

nate22

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:01:44 PM »
        Im using the normal client, I think. I downloaded the client from a link in one of the stickys on the f@h here at computer hope forum. I might try what you suggested. Thanks for the advice btw.  Yes, im foulding for computer hopes team.

Ugarte

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 03:34:58 AM »
          The high performance CPU / GPU clients can be found at http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther  If your video card is powerful enough, it can be used to fold as well.

You can check to see if your video card is powerful enough for folding by reading the top section of the GPU Client Guide found at http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide

Not that two of the CPU Clients at the bottom of the page require the Drop-in binary for current Windows SMP console client (6.24), also downloaded on that page.  Kind of odd that it isn't included in their installer already, but oh well.  That's why following their installation guides step by step is rather important.

I use...
          Windows Vista GPU Console client -->with my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
          Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console version 6.23 beta for MPICH (32-bit or 64-bit) --> with my Intel Core i7 920 (2.66 GHz)

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Dribbling Pensioner
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »
          Ugarte , i know this is an old thread but what do you mean by a high performance client