Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WMP11 and Windows Vista: WMP11 won't open/close properly  (Read 5312 times)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
WMP11 and Windows Vista: WMP11 won't open/close properly
« on: September 27, 2009, 01:37:29 AM »
This is driving me mad, because I've searched and searched for a solution to this and can't find it. I know how to fix this in XP, but the fix won't work in Vista. This is my laptop I'm talking about here (HP Pavilion dv6700 w\ Vista Home Premium SP2). The problem started after download Windows updates in early August and happened prior to applying SP2, so I don't think that's the issue.

When I open a media file, let's say an MP3, the file begins to play, but the WMP window never appears. I can control the playback with the media keys on my keyboard, and wmplayer.exe appears in the processes list, but the WMP window never opens and there's no task bar button for it. If I open WMP through its shortcut first, it opens fine. However, when the WMP window is open and I close it (either through the X button in the corner or File menu -> Exit) the WMP window closes, but playback doesn't stop and the process continues to appear in the processes list until I select it and choose 'End Process', then the playback will stop and the process will end.

I tried downloading what Microsoft calls "the latest version" on their website of WMP11, but when I go to install it, I get "There is a more recent version of Windows Media Player (11.0.6002.18065) already installed on your computer. It is not possible to use an older installation package (11.0.5721.5146) to install files or to repair your current version of the Player."

I saw it recommended somewhere on the Microsoft forums to use SFC /SCANNOW to fix issues with WMP in Vista, but SFC came back saying nothing was wrong.

Also, and this may be unrelated, about 1 in 3 times when I minimize WMP to the task bar, it causes Windows Explorer to crash and reset. According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944883, I've downloaded and installed the patch, so I'll see if that fixes that.

-=EDIT=-
Nevermind about that patch. Same issue, but says the patch doesn't apply to my system. It's for 11.0.6000.6500.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: WMP11 and Windows Vista: WMP11 won't open/close properly
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
Hmm, very strange, quaxo.  I have a Compaq laptop with same OS, SP, and WMP as you.  I imagine you'd hate to take the extreme measure of reinstalling Windows but I don't know what else to suggest.  Hopefully, someone will have some other ideas.

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:04:50 AM »
I really didn't want to go that far, but I might have to. This computer has been acting very peculiar today. I don't think it's related to the WMP issue, as that's been happening for about a month with no other issues. Anyway, I'll wait and see if anyone else has some opinion on this before I go to the measure of reinstalling.

I think it's stupid that integrated a media player to the point that if it breaks, you have to reinstall your OS.  ::)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:16:42 AM »
Does that computer still have a lot of the miscellaneous software that HP installs on new computers?  You might install PC Decrapifier and run it.  And then, I think I'd also run CCleaner, including its Registry scan. 

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:42:32 AM »
    Can you uninstall / reinstall WMP?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 07:47:24 AM »
    Does that computer still have a lot of the miscellaneous software that HP installs on new computers?  You might install PC Decrapifier and run it.  And then, I think I'd also run CCleaner, including its Registry scan. 

I removed all of the crap HP puts on immediately after getting it home the first time.

It's actually run really great for months until this morning. It seems to have stopped being stupid now, think it was just a hiccup.

Still haven't sorted out this media player thing yet though. I might just not allow WMP to be updated anymore and wait for MS to update their installer to the version I'm using or someday when WMP12 comes out. Not worth reinstalling Windows to get this thing to open & close properly. I'll keep looking for solutions in the meantime.

Can you uninstall / reinstall WMP?

Alan <><  :D

No. Microsoft made it so WMP11 can't be removed from Vista, and their "current" installer for WMP11 is a slightly older version than what I already have, so I'm screwed there as well. WMP11 can be removed from XP, and I know the process for doing so, but that doesn't seem to work in Vista.