Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Darwine Issue  (Read 5848 times)

HopefulMac

Topic Starter

Starter

Darwine Issue
    « on: September 30, 2009, 08:49:22 AM »
    So I downloaded an application called Darwine, an application that used WINE to be able to read Windows applications. Later, I decided to uninstall it, and being given no uninstall instructions, I simply dragged and dropped to the trash can. Now on my System Profiler it says:

System Version:   Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
      Kernel Version:   Darwin 9.7.0
      Boot Volume:   Macintosh HD
      Boot Mode:   Normal

And when I try to use .exe's on my computer to install Mac applications, most cases the little undeleted and undetected corrupted fragment of Darwine tries to run it and ends up giving me a bunch of gibberish special characters, and it looked nothing like when it was fully installed Darwine. Can I replace the Darwin kernel with the latest software update, or do I need to manually change the kernel back to that of the Mac OSX's? I am in dire need of help because I need some programs to get to for work.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Darwine Issue
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »
    you're getting two things confused:  Darwine and Darwin.

Darwin is the kernel of Unix that Mac's OS uses.  You don't need to get rid of that.

Darwine is what is causing the exe files to be associated with itself.

I would do a google search for "fully remove Darwine" and see what you can find.  You simply need to delete the files that are associated with darwine so the .exe files don't try to open in Darwine.

HopefulMac

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:22:20 PM »
      Uhm, I followed this link and I couldn't find my username.wine to delete. I deleted the first and last steps in the removal instructions, but I can't find the second file. Where could I find it? When I still boot some exes, it still uses the Darwine loader.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 08:07:09 AM »
      Uhm, I followed this link and I couldn't find my username.wine to delete. I deleted the first and last steps in the removal instructions, but I can't find the second file. Where could I find it? When I still boot some exes, it still uses the Darwine loader.

That link doesn't bring up an article on how to remove darwine.

HopefulMac

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »
        Yeah it does. It's an article about multiple technology topics, but there is one on Darwine and there are instructions on how to fully remove it.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:26:41 AM »
        Yeah it does. It's an article about multiple technology topics, but there is one on Darwine and there are instructions on how to fully remove it.

So give the link to the direct darwine article.  I'm not going to waste my time looking around for it.