Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAM help  (Read 9094 times)

aaron baker

RAM help
« on: June 13, 2005, 07:13:30 PM »
 :-/

Okay heres the deal, Im not that good with computers and I want to get a higher RAM because the the one (129,000KB) this too low. After much research I have found that you can buy this sort of "chip" that will make your RAM higher.  My question for you is will I be able to simply put it in my computer by myself or will i have to get some computer guy to do it for me.  If anyone can take the time to answer my question i would be real gratefull

thank you

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: RAM help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:54:49 PM »
Yes. You can install more RAM yourself. The "chip" that you are talking about is a RAM stick... All you need to know is that kind of RAM you need, and how much you want, and then all you have to do is go to a computer store and buy it... However, make sure that your computer can handle more RAM...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

hopeless comp guy

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:50:12 PM »
how do i know if my com can handle more RPM I am currently running 129,000kb RPM and I dont think that I have ever upgraded my RPM

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 09:51:22 PM »
(RPM = RAM) How old is this computer? How much do you have now? (In MB)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

hopeless computer guy

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 10:18:13 PM »
It is a windows 2000 and how much of what kind of memory.  I know i have like 89% of my hardrive memory left

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 10:21:33 PM »
ok.. But I want to know how much RAM you have... Not HD space... Do this... Click on Start -> Run... In the run box, type   dxdiag   ... Press enter... You might see a small gray box appear. Just click no on that for now. You should now see a large gray box containing your system information... Look on that, and tell me how much RAM you have...

[glb]Flame[/glb]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 10:21:45 PM by flame »

hopelesscomputerguy

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 10:25:56 PM »
126MB

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 10:28:48 PM »
That's low... You SHOULD be able to upgrade to at least 512... Usually higher in the newer computer models... When I say newer, I would even consider 5 years old "newer"... You need to know what type of RAM you need.. Take your computer information to a computer store, and tehy can help you determine what type you need...

[glb]Flame[/glb]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 10:29:26 PM by flame »

hopelesscomputer guy

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 10:35:15 PM »
thanx dude You really helped me out alot
but one more thing what kind of information should i give them

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 10:38:28 PM »
What kind of information do you have? An invoice? Also, in most stores, if you just give them your computer manufacturer's name, and the EXACT model of your computer, they can tell you just like that...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Mac

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 01:48:36 AM »
Try using Everest Home Edition Computer Diagnostic Program which will tell you all about your computer. It is a freeware program.

Then if you look at RAM Knowledge Base and use their search engine you'll find out what sort of RAM you need, if your computer is listed.

RAM  is Random Access Memory and is measured in Mb (Megabytes) or Gb (Gigabytes)

Drive space is measured in Gigabytes but can also be measured in Megabytes, Kilobytes and Bytes.

A 10 Gb drive has 10,000,000,000 Bytes and that is the Decimal sizing.

The Binary sizing is obtained by dividing the number of Bytes (above) by 1024 three times.

Or you can simply divide the 10 Gb by the constant 1.073741824 to obtain the Binary size of 9.313 Gb.

TN2COOL

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 10:52:11 AM »
Just in case, if you are going to upgrade to 256 instead, DO NOT UPGRADE TO XP!! It uses much more system ram..