Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to open links in Firefox windows  (Read 5624 times)

simon.c

Unable to open links in Firefox windows
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:23:22 AM »
I can open up Firfox and new tabs fine but if I click on a link within the page it doesn't open a new page/window/tab.

I Have Windows XP Pro version 5.1 service pack 3.

Firefox version is 3.5.3.

I also have Internet Explorer version 8 and Google Chrome version 3.0.195.27.

Before downloading Firefox when I clicked on a link in an email, (via Outlook), IE would open, but now Firefox does.  In IE everything seems to be working fine and I'm guessing I have some conflict of interest between the two softwares.

I can't find on the site an answer that has been alble to resolve this issue.

All help appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Unable to open links in Firefox windows
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:35:20 AM »
1) In Firefox go to TOOLS - OPTIONS and uncheck "Always check to see if Firefox is default browser". Now open IE. It will tell you it is not the default browser and ask if you want it to be. Say yes. (Or go to Internet Options - Programs Tab - Default Web Browser option in the middle and check the box).

2) Back to Firefox options - click on TABS - at the top you'll see "Open links that open in a new window in" followed by a dropdown box. Make your choice.

CoxyXRJ

Re: Unable to open links in Firefox windows (simon.c)
    « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:46:22 AM »
    Thanks for the info which I followed to the letter.  Most things seem to be working however I still have an issue.

The site that I was looking at was www.paguk.com and then clicking on the link top right Pagstore.com. This opens to the Pagstore.com in the same window but when I click on the 'Enter' link nothing happens.  In IE it following the same route when I click on 'Enter' I got straight to the page I'm after.  Any ideas?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 06:07:17 AM »
    I just tried the site with Firefox and have the same issue. Could just be the site isn't optimized for Firefox.

CoxyXRJ

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 06:36:15 AM »
      Many thanks, I'll see how other sites work out.