Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting up Server 2003 as a Web Server on a home network.  (Read 10134 times)

shadowtn

Topic Starter

Rookie

Setting up Server 2003 as a Web Server on a home network.
    « on: October 17, 2009, 02:44:48 PM »
    I want to Install Server 2003 and set up a web server on my home compuer.
    My home network consist of 3 computers, I have cable service, I use a router to connect all of them.
    Then I need to figure out how to set up dyndns so that it will stay connected.

I have a domain registered that i can put on it, and will need help with setting up dns.

I am in no hurry and will be willing to take all the time that is required to do this. I need some serious hand holding to get there.

Is there such a person out there. I can call you on the phone to make things easier if need be.

Thanks in advance.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Setting up Server 2003 as a Web Server on a home network.
    « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
    First, you'll need to install IIS or Apache on your server. Either one will work well for most applications. IIS comes with Windows, and Apache can be downloaded alone from www.apache.org or in a pre-configured package from www.apachefriends.org.
    After getting the web server working, you'll need to configure your router to forward web traffic to your web server.
    After that, set up your domain name to point to the static ip address assigned to your router.

shadowtn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:04:20 PM »
      Hi,

First of all thanks for the reply.

I think I forwarned you that I would need a lot of hand holding with this … LOL

I installed the standard version of Server 2003 on a spare computer. Everything went smoothly.

It then displayed the Manage your server window. From there I clicked on the Application Server Link and installed the Internet Information Server. I then clicked on the DNS Server Link and installed DNS. At least I think I have them installed.

Now, you say once I get the Web Server working. How can I tell if it is working?

I think I can handle the Router part but first I need to know if the web server is working, I guess.

After I figure out how to tell if the Web Server is working and I get the router configured we can work on the domain name. LOL

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »
      open Internet Explorer with another computer on the same network and type in the IP address of the server. If a web page opens, it's working. If you don't have another computer on the network, type "localhost" in the web browser on the server.
      You shouldn't need the DNS server installed to serve web pages. You only need it if you're setting up an internal network and planning on using DNS in the network.

shadowtn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 06:28:19 PM »
        Hi,

Ok … I uninstalled DNS …

I think I have IIS working.

When I enter localhost on the server it brings up the default web site.

When I enter the Ip address of the web server from another system it also brings up the default web site.

Now in the Router I have set persistent port forwarding to the servers ip address.

Now what do I need to do ?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »
        Find out what your static IP is from your ISP and try accessing it from a computer on the internet. Or tell me what your IP is and I can try it for you. You should be able to find your internet IP address by looking in your router for the IP address connected to the internet.

When all that is figured out, open the IIS manager and have a look around. It's pretty simple to figure out and you shouldn't have to much difficulty with it. Basically, you put all your html files in the "Default Web Site" directory and it will be available to the internet.

shadowtn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 03:28:51 PM »
          OK …

Now the fun starts.

I copied all the files for the web site into the Default Web Site Folder.

I can access it locally by going to the IP Address of the server, and the Index.html file displays.

I can still get to it from the server by typing localhost in.

I need to mention that this domain name shuckems.com is hosted somewhere else on the internet. I have it hosted at godaddy and it is up and working there also.

I found the IP Address of the router and tried to access it locally with that IP Address and it couldn’t find it. I then had a neighbor try it and  he got (Failure to connect to the server).

I then went back to the router to see if it could be something there. Here is what it says there.

I selected Persistent port forwarding and enabled TCP inbound and outbound on port 80. There is also a selection there for private ports and I selected port 80 for that also.

shadowtn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:22:23 PM »
            Looks like this one has run it's course. Thanks for information.

stemorley

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 05:33:11 AM »
            Hi,
            did you manage to get your webserver working?
            Im trying to do the same thing, I can access it from internal computers by typing the servers IP address in but cant access it by typing my external IP address in, also VirginMedia (my ISP) wont give me a static IP, would I be able to make it working using my dyndns account?

Thanks
            ste

shadowtn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 09:15:59 AM »
              Hi Stemorley,

No I didn't get it to working properly. I could connect internaly also but not externaly.

If you want to work together email me at [email protected] and maybe we can come up with something.

Shadow

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 10:55:45 AM »
              Sorry I didn't reply back to your post. I remember looking at it and I thought I typed something out. Maybe I just didn't hit the Post button.
              Can you access the web server from a computer on the same network? Find out what the ip address is on the server (something like 192.168.0.1) and enter that number into the browser of a neighboring computer.

shadowtn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »
                Hi Michae,

I am not ignoring you here, I am just trying to think this through.
                When I didn't get a reply for a long time I figured that I had hit a dead end again.
                I wound up formating the server and puting something else on it.

My plan was to set up a web server at home that would be accessable to the world and be able to put a few web sites on it. I know that there are several steps to go through and I don't want to start it all again unless I can be reasonably sure that we can get all the steps installed and be able to put a couple of web sites on it.

I am reasonably sure that you guys can get the job done and I am in no hurry. I know that if there is something that you are unsure of you will know the right people to talk to and get it done.

Let me know what you think and if you are game I can reinstall the server software again.

Thanks in advance

Shadow