Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: white dot on desktop?  (Read 26832 times)

jbehnke145

Re: white dot on desktop?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2010, 07:34:25 PM »
I had the same problem and tried everything mentioned here including changing monitors. - I have AOL and what worked for me was to do the following:
Open AOL sign on screen
click on start up settings located at lower right hand corner
disable the "Fast Start"
Click on save
Good luck

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #46 on: March 02, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
    what??

Normally, that would be good advice for PCs with actual video cards.

Since you have a laptop:

im on a laptop

...that's of limited use. 

Then again, some laptops have what's called miniPCI video cards.  If your laptop has such a thing, then it may be worth reseating it.  You'll have to download the instructions for disassembling your laptop from the manufacturer's website and follow those if you're going to even get to the video card (and avoid losing a ton of screws in the process and not being able to get it reassembled). 

However, if your laptop does NOT have a miniPCI video card, then the problem is either:
    a) The motherboard
    or
    b) The VGA cable between the laptop's lid/LCD screen and the port on the motherboard that it connects to.

In either case, contact the manufacturer of the laptop.  If it's under warranty, they should be able to replace the motherboard and/or cable.  If not, then you're SOL.
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

jeffrockr

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »
    I got a temporary solution that will almost erase that annoying dot...   just go to personnalize , window color, choose the preset color the one to the right on the 2nd row, which should be called ''icy or freeze'' in french its 'givre'     , anyway pick that color, and activate the transparency , and your white dot will almost be almost invisible....         

Hope this helps until they patch that problem out.... 

By the way, this had never hapened to me before tonight and it started after i installed my new nvidia drivers to the 280.26 version.. I should have kept my old drivers, but I was having an issue with a 'the display driver was not responding and was restarted' message....

since ati users have the same problems, i guess the its linked to something included in both nvidia and ati latest drivers...

CharlesWong

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 02:14:36 PM »
    Hello all.
    I know this is an old thread, but I was experiencing the same issue, white dot on my desktop, clicking show desktop also made it go away (until i did anything), and quickly found out after shutting down the "gametap" background application did the trick.

If you are still having this problem, are you, or someone that uses your computer by chance using gametap?

There are other programs known to do this, as I guess it's there way of letting you know that the processes is still running.
    I find it quit annoying aswell tho.