Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux Front Title and Linux Profile?  (Read 7719 times)

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Linux Front Title and Linux Profile?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 09:50:27 AM »
I see one problem with BeOs, its DisContinued and Haiki just started Alpha, (this year) '2009.
Did they finally make it to alpha? I've been waiting for that for years......

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
    Can't argue that Haiku is a good concept.  But, than ReactOs isn't too bad of concept either, don't know how their going to keep up with Microsoft.  What I do know is that it will take years before they both reach beta.

After watching a Bsd Presentation on YouTube, I'm totally turned off by Bsd and wouldn't want to support them.

I think I'll stick with Solaris for now.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »

I've tried to get into *nix operating systems, but I think I'll stick with Windows. It's so much easier to support. ;)

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 07:11:02 PM »
      Ya, do know, you can make your own Iso with the stuff Pre-Installed, don't ya.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 03:43:53 PM »
      and Free Solaris CD's, ship fast.
      I'm assuming you mean OpenSolaris. Last I seen Sun does not ship free Solaris CD's.

And why not have Ubuntu as a Profile choice, since its very popular.
      I do think this is a good idea instead of only having "Linux Variant" The best study's do far report that about 30% of Linux users use Ubuntu.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 05:29:42 PM »
      apostrophe alert

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
        Yeah, but there both Solaris.  I'm aware that the Non-Open-Solaris isn't free.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
        « Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 01:58:05 PM »
        Can't argue that Haiku is a good concept.  But, than ReactOs isn't too bad of concept either, don't know how their going to keep up with Microsoft.  What I do know is that it will take years before they both reach beta.

After watching a Bsd Presentation on YouTube, I'm totally turned off by Bsd and wouldn't want to support them.

Yah, both concepts are nice but I doubt either will succeed in the OS market.
        I think BSD is way too complicated for most people, I think I would have a difficult time using it. I would like a link to that Youtube video though if you could get it.

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 02:30:26 PM »
          CH might not allow me to post that YouTube video, its a bit adultish.

Anywho, I have this feeling that some OS will make, some sort of dent in Windows.
          I wouldn't dis OpenSource just yet.

Ubuntu was close, but I'm predicting that another one will make a dent, don't know the name though.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
          I think the only OS that will come close to making any kind of dent in the Windows market share will be Apple. Linux is still run by geeks who don't get user friendliness (ever heard of rtfm?). Windows and Apple both understand that being user friendly means making a simple and effective gui with easy to understand steps. Sure there are steps for everything in linux and unix and even a very in-depth manual, but have you ever tried looking at the manual? If not, try "man ls" or "man mount" in a linux shell and see what you think.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »
          I find the man pages pretty useful and, as for "rtfm", well, it's true. All you have to do is r the f manual. Some people don't like everything decided for them by the folks at Redmond Or the Apple place.. People who use the word "geek" is a derisory way to mean Linux advocates are actually labelling themselves as technophobic Joe Sixpacks.
          « Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:16:49 AM by Salmon Trout »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »
          Ubuntu
          openSUSE
          LinuxMint
          Fedora
          Debian
          Debian
          PCLinuxOS
          Puppy Linux
          CentOS
          MEPIS
          Slackware
          ArchLinux
          Gentoo

:-\

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
          « Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
          I have this feeling that some OS will make, some sort of dent in Windows.
          I wouldn't dis OpenSource just yet.

Ubuntu was close, but I'm predicting that another one will make a dent, don't know the name though.
          Well I still think Ubuntu has it, I know many people are not switching to Windows 7 but to Ubuntu instead. 30% of all Linux users use Ubuntu. I'm also starting to see many programs also being available for Linux but only Ubuntu or Ubuntu 64 (sometimes they will also work on Debian & OpenSuse though). I'm also very happy to see many products at the stores (cameras, mp3 players, flash drives, printers...) listing Linux in theyre system requirements. A year ago I was gonna buy a USB flash drive and none that I could find said anything about Linux compatibility, I went yesterday and most said they were Linux compatible. Every year (since near Vista's release) Windows loses a decent bit of market share (I think up to 5% a year), and two-thirds of that is gained by Mac and the other third by Linux. If any Linux distro will challenge Windows I think it's a very good chance that it'll be Ubuntu.

Mac is also going to be a huge threat for Windows and I think Apple will be a big player in the OS market for a long time to come.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »
          I love how people talk about competing companies that have been around at least as long as MS in the future tense.

"well, they're gonna be a big threat to MS"

This same type of quote has been repeated ad nauseum since the original DOS versus system 7 stuff. It never amounts to anything but shrill yelling, especially when there aren't any facts to back them up.

Yes, Linux is becoming more recognizable- it's still practically a niche product as far as a desktop operating system, for reasons Michaewlewis outlined.

However, I don't think apple will make a "dent" of any sort if they continue with their higher prices, and not allowing the OS to run on any other system but a apple branded one.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

CrewRite

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
            OpenOS's, I think, whether its, Unix-Based, Linux-Based, Other-Based.  Actually OpenOS is a better term than Linux, since there's all types of OS's.

Which ever Distro becomes king, I think the only way for any one of them to become a real boom in the market is to create a universal system that understands how to *automatically* install things and put it in a controlled environment.  Controlled meaning that you can build on the OS, but don't make folks and at the same time make sure software (such as OpenOffice) is auto-install compatible, without the need of Sudo.  Although I guess Auto-Sudo would be a good idea.

Windows is a extreme case of software environment control, since they don't really listen to experts like Chris Pirillo.

Just take the complications out a OS and you got something.  Don't care if Micro has been around for years, their getting terrible.