Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reusing old system OS  (Read 11169 times)

BG-Fan

Topic Starter

Starter

Reusing old system OS
    « on: October 25, 2009, 04:21:18 AM »
    I'm planning on upgrading my motherboard in my home built system. I've heard that Microsoft will yet you reinstall your OS on you system a certain number of times before making you purchase a new copy.  I've had to reinstall XP at least twice the last four years. My question is, changing out the motherboard would that be considered an install and do you think I will have any problem ? ( I am planning on going to Win 7, after they get all the bugs worked out  ;D )

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Reusing old system OS
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:52:15 AM »
    2 methods:

Before the Swap...

After the Swap...

With both methods i suggest reading thru the info first and printing out a reference copy before starting...
    I've used both methods and they work fine provided you do each step correctly...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

reddawg48

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:35:32 AM »
      You should not have a problem as long as you make sure your devices are supported by the new motherboard. Newegg.com is a good place to research a new one and they post  the specs and reviews from other users. Your OS on your HDD should boot fine!

Good Luck!

BG-Fan

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 03:33:51 AM »
        2 methods:

Before the Swap...

After the Swap...

With both methods i suggest reading thru the info first and printing out a reference copy before starting...
        I've used both methods and they work fine provided you do each step correctly...

Yea I should have realized that you should remove or disable all your drivers before swapping out motherboards.  RE tip 1, none of the pictures showed on the webpage so I didn't get any idea of where to remove the drives . Do you do it from the Control panel or use an uninstall program?