Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: To Mac or not to Mac?  (Read 29357 times)

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    To Mac or not to Mac?
    « on: October 25, 2009, 05:48:04 PM »
    Hello everyone,
    I'm seriously considering purchasing the latest Mac desktop.  I walked into an Apple store today to get my son's itouch looked at (ear jack not working) and started looking around. I was totally impressed by the latest desktop.  I've been a PC person but, lately, I've been very frustrated with the multi media aspect of my computer (won't print photo files to a CD, among other things).  Is it true that the Mac's don't really require anit-virus software? Has anyone ever regretted purchasing a Mac?  BTW, the staff at the store were super nice and fixed my son's itouch.  I like the one on one aspect of support at the store.
    THanks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: To Mac or not to Mac?
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:52:23 PM »
    I wouldn't say that Mac's don't benefit from a Anti-Virus, but most viruses are targeted at the windows operating system these days. For a while though Macs have been based on Intel processors, so I think it might be possible some might make "cross-platform" viruses. Personally if I had a mac I wouldn't install an AV on it.

I don't have a Mac myself but I haven't heard any "regret" stories (well, not counting perhaps maybe if they really couldn't afford it, macs are generally more expensive then PCs).

Our resident Mac Guru Socrates will hopefully be able to flesh out anything I miss or correct me if I give any false information. I'm not 100% on their policies, but I believe they have excellent support policies with their products, so if you do have a problem with the mac they'll be glad to help.

I have to agree with the agree-ability of the personnel in mac stores, they actually try to sell you what you need, from what I hear, rather then, say, best buy, where I've heard people getting coerced into buying printers because the "computer won't work without one".

Personally I'm a PC person, I haven't had any issues with them that I couldn't resolve. But unlike many other PC users I'm quite open-minded to the Macintosh. it's definitely an elegant system. Personally I simply don't have a deep enough wallet  for it and  really like to tinker with the insides of my PCs to add and remove functionality.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:09:12 AM »
    I wouldn't say that Mac's don't benefit from a Anti-Virus, but most viruses are targeted at the windows operating system these days. For a while though Macs have been based on Intel processors, so I think it might be possible some might make "cross-platform" viruses. Personally if I had a mac I wouldn't install an AV on it.

I don't have a Mac myself but I haven't heard any "regret" stories (well, not counting perhaps maybe if they really couldn't afford it, macs are generally more expensive then PCs).

Our resident Mac Guru Socrates will hopefully be able to flesh out anything I miss or correct me if I give any false information. I'm not 100% on their policies, but I believe they have excellent support policies with their products, so if you do have a problem with the mac they'll be glad to help.

I have to agree with the agree-ability of the personnel in mac stores, they actually try to sell you what you need, from what I hear, rather then, say, best buy, where I've heard people getting coerced into buying printers because the "computer won't work without one".

Personally I'm a PC person, I haven't had any issues with them that I couldn't resolve. But unlike many other PC users I'm quite open-minded to the Macintosh. it's definitely an elegant system. Personally I simply don't have a deep enough wallet  for it and  really like to tinker with the insides of my PCs to add and remove functionality.

Thanks, BC.

BC makes a good comment about antivirus- it's not that macs can't get a virus, it's just really rare.

I've been using macs now for 5 years and I haven't used antivirus at all.  I also have had no problems with spyware or malware.

I think the bottom line is that in the future antivirus may be necessary, but for 99% of mac users, you don't have to worry about a virus today.

That being said, I used to work at an Apple Store doing the "one-to-one" training, and it is definitely worth it's money.  For $99 (you have to buy it when you get a mac, now) they give you one hour training sessions every week for a year.  It beats the heck outta any class or other training you can get, quality and price wise.

Apple has been rated #1 in customer support as well, and I can tell you from being a PC guy switching to Mac, it's a very enjoyable and easy switch.

Another plus is that the Apple Employees do not get paid on commission, so if you go into the store and ask them what to buy, they will help you find something that best suits your needs.

Macs now can even run windows, so if you have an odd program here or there that needs to be run on windows, you can install windows on your mac and run that application (though you need to purchase or have a copy of Windows to install).

If you have any more questions I'd be glad to answer them.  Being a switcher myself I can tell you with full honesty that the leap to Mac is worth it.  I used to hate macs up until 5 years ago (when I finally caved and decided to give OS X a try).

Cheers!

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 10:55:44 AM »
      Thank you BC and Socrates for your responses.  I was also impressed that Apple offers $100 off per current college student at home; and I have 2! The starting price for an iMac is very reasonable - $1200 for a4GB Memory, 500 GB hard drive, and Core 2 Duo.
      I also like the fact that you can bring in your PC and they'll transfer all your data into your new computer.  Can you tell I'm getting closer to purchasing one?
      I'll let you know when I do; probably after Christmas.
      Thanks  :)

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 11:06:26 AM »
      only thing left I see is ... make sure you got a mac version of the windows program you usually use that you're comfortable with!  ;D

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
      Thank you BC and Socrates for your responses.  I was also impressed that Apple offers $100 off per current college student at home; and I have 2! The starting price for an iMac is very reasonable - $1200 for a4GB Memory, 500 GB hard drive, and Core 2 Duo.
      I also like the fact that you can bring in your PC and they'll transfer all your data into your new computer.  Can you tell I'm getting closer to purchasing one?
      I'll let you know when I do; probably after Christmas.
      Thanks  :)

Marlene,

I think there was a bit of a miscommunication about the student discount. The discount itself you can only use for one student (for example, if you had 5 students at home, you can't have 5X the discount on one machine, but you could buy 5 machines with the same discount).

As for iMacs, the student discount is $100 off, and applecare is greatly reduced as well (which I highly recommend).  Another plus is that any apple software you want to purchase is 50% off if you buy it on Apple's website.

Let me know if you come up with any other questions.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »
        Thanks for clearing that up Socrates.  I was probably too surprised to hear clearly.  I do have a question about Microsoft Office.  I was told at the store that I had to purchase Apple's version of Microsoft office in order to open excel or word documents (maybe I misunderstood that as well). My friend says she was able to open up word and excel documents with iWorks on her iMac.  Is it possible to use microsoft outlook on an iMac?
        I'll probably have a lot more questions later.
        Thanks

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 02:54:10 PM »
        Thanks for clearing that up Socrates.  I was probably too surprised to hear clearly.  I do have a question about Microsoft Office.  I was told at the store that I had to purchase Apple's version of Microsoft office in order to open excel or word documents (maybe I misunderstood that as well). My friend says she was able to open up word and excel documents with iWorks on her iMac.  Is it possible to use microsoft outlook on an iMac?
        I'll probably have a lot more questions later.
        Thanks

Marlene,

The problem isn't whether it's "Apple's" version or not... the problem is that Microsoft wants to charge you for a Windows version AND an a Mac version of Office.  Back in the day, a lot of games and software was made on one disc to work on Mac or Windows.... unfortunately... that's not the case.

However,  you do have a few options.  iWork comes for free now (normally $79) on macs, and can read and edit microsoft word and excel documents. 

As far as Microsoft Outlook goes, right now they make an email client called "Entourage" which is basically Microsoft's "Outlook for Mac."  However,  Microsoft is going to be releasing Microsoft Office 2010 sometime soon which will be a brand new version of Microsoft Outlook for Mac.

However, if you're like me and hate microsoft outlook, Apple includes a free (and IMHO a much better) Mail client, simply called "Mail."

You also get a program called "iCal" with your mac that functions similarly to the calendar in Microsoft Outlook on Windows.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
          Again, thanks for your input Socrates.  So, if I want to use the mail client that iMac comes with, will I be able to easily transfer my addresss book (Outlook)?
          Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 04:49:18 PM »
          NO, NO, NO
          If you buy a MAC and use it you will:
          1. Lose interest in all other PCs
          2. Have fewer friends because fewer people have Macs.
          3. Have lees to do, because Mass are very maintainable.
          4. You will  come to this forum only once a year.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 08:05:02 AM »
          NO, NO, NO
          If you buy a MAC and use it you will:
          1. Lose interest in all other PCs
          2. Have fewer friends because fewer people have Macs.
          3. Have lees to do, because Mass are very maintainable.
          4. You will  come to this forum only once a year.

haha.  ;D

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 08:06:17 AM »
          Again, thanks for your input Socrates.  So, if I want to use the mail client that iMac comes with, will I be able to easily transfer my addresss book (Outlook)?
          Thanks

Your address book is easy to transfer.  All you have to do is export it in outlook.  It should give you an option to export as a "comma seperated value" file (.csv)

Once you have that file, your address book on the Mac will import it beautifully.  If the Apple store is transferring your data for you, I believe they'll do that as well (as long as you ask).

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »
            Actually Geek, most of my friends have Macs; I'm one of the last holdouts.  Unfortunately, we have PC's at work; so I will still have to deal with them
            Socrates, I will of course ask for help at the Apple store in transfering all of my data.
            I'm so excited about purchasing an iMac!
            Thanks all.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
            « Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 09:48:56 AM »
            Actually Geek, most of my friends have Macs; I'm one of the last holdouts.  Unfortunately, we have PC's at work; so I will still have to deal with them
            Socrates, I will of course ask for help at the Apple store in transfering all of my data.
            I'm so excited about purchasing an iMac!
            Thanks all.

I'm glad to hear you're excited.  It's a lot of fun learning some of the software that comes with it for free too (iMovie, iPhoto, and GarageBand are great applications).

I have not found a single movie editing application on Windows that's as good as iMovie, and it comes free with every mac.

Cottery

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 09:10:57 PM »
               the  Mac's don't really require anit-virus software?it is impossible.it is just another way that they use to attract the comsumers.