Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Help diagnosing problem (Think it's the HDD)  (Read 2087 times)

LTH80

Topic Starter

Starter

Need Help diagnosing problem (Think it's the HDD)
    « on: October 29, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
    I'm trying to fix my moms computer and I think it's the hard drive but i don't know how to find out for sure. My own computer is older so the parts aren't compatible to swap out to test.

Basically the computer started to freeze on the Intel splash screen. I removed all the components except for the PS and powered up the MoBo I got a series of beeps (I'm told that is good). Then i added in the ram and monitor and the computer booted up (past the splash screen) until it said "no bootable device" or something like that.

Then when I add in the HDD it freezes again. The odd thing is, if I change the HDD from the SATA0 to SATA 2 input it gets further along in the boot-up process - it gets to the screen where it asks if you want to boot up in safe mode or start windows normally etc. Unfortunately if I choose one of those options the computer just reboots over and over and doesn't get anywhere (keeps going back to that safe mode screen).

The Hard drive does spin up and I can here the head moving around in there.

Any thoughts on what might be going on?
    How can I test the HDD and find out if that's the prob? I can't afford to go buy another drive if that's not the problem.

Thanks in advance.

EEVIAC

Re: Need Help diagnosing problem (Think it's the HDD)
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »
    Hard drive diagnostics

Scroll up to the top of the web page.  Select the Make of your HDD and go from there.

edit: If the diagnostics shows no problems, try doing a "repair install"
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:39:48 PM by EEVIAC »

LTH80

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »
      I tried using Seagates diagnostic tool to create a bootable CD and used it to check the disk for errors. It found a bunch of errors and supposedly repaired them. I then tried to do an all erase (write 0's to the entire hard drive) but it couldn't do it and it says to check the data and power cable.

Also, why would the bootable CD (winxp and seagate tools) only work if I move the connector from SATA 0 to SATA 1,2, or 3???

This makes me wonder if it's something with the MOBO *?*

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »
      1.  It found a bunch of errors and supposedly repaired them.
      2.  I then tried to do an all erase (write 0's to the entire hard drive) but it couldn't do it and it says to check the data and power cable.
      3.  why would the bootable CD (winxp and seagate tools) only work if I move the connector from SATA 0 to SATA 1,2, or 3???
      4.  This makes me wonder if it's something with the MOBO *?*
      1.  Try running it again.
      2.  Maybe they are damaged.  Inspect closely.
      3, 4.  Maybe mobo connector is damaged.
      We had one like this on this forum a couple weeks ago.  The connector on the hard drive was damaged and the poster didn't realize it, even when looking at it.  He posted the pics and it was obvious to us.