Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which linux??  (Read 4585 times)

magic_plank

Which linux??
« on: May 16, 2005, 01:22:18 PM »
Hi,
I have kinda broken windows 98, (good riddance!) temporarily, and I would like a good version of linux. It needs to be good GUI on a slow computer, be pretty small, and do stuff that a good OS would do, be easy for someone WHO HASN'T A CLUE about the unix/linux dos- thingy with the wierd prompt and commands. Oh, and it has to be free. (is that even possible?)
If you can help, could you please send me a link? I havent a clue about linux and I spent 1.5 hours on google last night, and some told me to go through mirrors and I lost it again, so a link would be great.
PS, It doesn't have to be linux! if you've found a better OS then PLEASE tell!
PPS Even a Boot Disc would be great!

hywaydave

Re: Which linux??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 06:15:50 PM »
Well you're in luck!  Most linux distros are free!  What kinda hardware are we looking at magic?  Some linux versions are easier than others for starters like yourself.  You'll probably want to look into Fedora or  Mandrake.

If you don't want to take the risk of wiping your drive before you dig into Linux, there's a distro that boots and runs completely off a CD. That way you can get a feel for linux and practice around.  It's called  Knoppix.  I sure hoped I helped you out a bit.  If you need additional help, just contact me at ResourcePC.

Dave

SlackerLX

Re: Which linux??
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 10:50:42 AM »
Choose wisely  :D
http://distrowatch.com