Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Internet/Network Issue  (Read 2695 times)

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

Windows 7 Internet/Network Issue
    « on: November 07, 2009, 04:44:10 AM »
    I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on two computers, one is absolutely fine and working perfectly, the other has had some issues and still has a couple.
    At first everything worked fine, but then the nvlddmkm.sys failed and meant I couldn't use drivers.
    To resolve this I had to do a proper hard drive wipe (not the Windows one) and reinstall.
    Now I can't use the network or internet, it has the yellow ! at the bottom.
    I've tried diagnostics, they say that I should reset the router (doesn't work) and then that my computer is having trouble resolving my IP address.
    After attempting to set my IP many times to the correct one, there was still no success.
    I tried using an old network card (3Com 3C905C-TX-M) but found no drivers that would work.
    I then tried going back to vista, which had the same network issue so I'm back on 7. Every function of the computer works apart from the internet, and I do already have all the latest nVidia graphics and chipset drivers installed.
    It's not an old computer, as you can see from the specs.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you,
    Simon
    'Have you tried turning it on and off? Have you checked it's plugged in?'- The IT Crowd automated help system

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows 7 Internet/Network Issue
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:11:25 AM »
    I would get a brand new NIC card for about 15 Bucks...one with Win7 drivers.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »
      i was considering that, and also getting a cheap wireless card or usb.
      and while i was out just now, i have got the nvlddmkm.sys error AGAIN.
      that should probably be posted in the drivers section though.

oh and just to let you know, the network cable being plugged in to the motherboard is detected properly, it knows it is there and attempts connection but can't.
      'Have you tried turning it on and off? Have you checked it's plugged in?'- The IT Crowd automated help system

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:57:30 AM »
      ... the network cable being plugged in to the motherboard ...
      So, your network adapter is onboard, right?  You presently have no add-iin network card installed?

Have you visited the computer manufacturer's website to search for a driver?

I have Win 7 RC installed on a Compaq d530 CMT, which I'd guess is older than your computer.  The d530 has an onboard network adapter which was recognized by Win 7 during installation with no need for me to search for a driver.  This computer also has a Linksys LNE100TX NIC in it; for that, I did have to go Linksys website and get a driver.

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »
        it does not need a driver, but i have nvidia chipset drivers for it (the newest ones, around the 15.49 or something)
        i have no extra network card, but as i said in the initial post i tried using one and could not find windows 7 compatible drivers.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 09:12:20 AM »
        i have got the nvlddmkm.sys error AGAIN.
        that should probably be posted in the drivers section though.

Yes, I believe it's a drive issue.  This might be helpful: http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic5276-21-1.aspx

Blade285

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
          thanks for the link, but i've already tried all of the things in there.
          i've currently just deleted the .sys file and can use it without any nvidia drivers. (and therefore not on the nice aero theme)
          also, people in that topic seem to only have the problem intermittently, whereas i cannot enter windows at all, ever. it loads and then when the user logon screen is meant to appear it's either black or BSOD.

do you think it's still worth buying a new network and/or wireless adaptor?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 12:59:29 PM »
          For 15 Bucks...my answer would be Yes.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "