Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Incompatablity of AVG9 and Windows Defender  (Read 3715 times)

henell

Topic Starter

Beginner

Incompatablity of AVG9 and Windows Defender
    « on: November 10, 2009, 09:07:34 PM »
    One for the gurus, who may be able to help a computer numpty. I have just been on to the Microsoft website to have a grizzle about Windows defender appearing on my taskbar on boot up, whingeing that it is not switched on. This had only occurred since downloading AVG9. Apparently one of the others on Microsoft site stated that they had contacted AVG and were informed that AVG had it's own Firewall version, which was not compatible with Microsoft Defender and had disabled it..
    I have had good results from AVG and would like to keep it if possible.
    Apparently some solved the problem by dumping AVG and downloading Avira or Avast.
    My question.......Would it be safe to disable Windows Defender, and if so how to do   it? If not is there any way of getting into AVG to disable their firewall?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Incompatablity of AVG9 and Windows Defender
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:55:29 AM »
    Are you using the free version of AVG?  It does not have firewall.  To turn off Windows Defender, see Turn Windows Defender on or off.  Here's some info re: Defender: http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-2672; as I understand it, AVG advises turning off Defender to avoid conflict between it and AVG. 

henell

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Incompatablity of AVG9 and Windows Defender
      « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »
      Thanks. I got into the AVG forum and they do indeed advise to turn defender off. I am using the free version. I think I will  go back to version 8 and turn defender back on.Thanks again.